Solving a Simple Diophantine Equation: 3x + 98y = 12

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding integers x and y such that 3x - 98y = 12, and the process of making it a diophantine equation. The question is raised about what to do with a negative sign and whether the equation needs to be set up in a specific form. Another question is asked about dealing with squared terms in an equation. The expert advises dividing the equation by the greatest common divisor if it is not equal to one, and suggests considering factoring techniques for the second equation.
trap101
find integers x and y such that:

3x - 98y = 12

I understand how to solve for the values, but to make it a diophantine equation I need it to look like 3x + 98y = 12...my question is what do I do with the negative sign? Carry it to the y? i.e: 3x + 98(-y) = 12, then deal with it after I find my values?

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
find integers x and y such that:

3x - 98y = 12

I understand how to solve for the values, but to make it a diophantine equation I need it to look like 3x + 98y = 12...my question is what do I do with the negative sign? Carry it to the y? i.e: 3x + 98(-y) = 12, then deal with it after I find my values?

If you want positive coefficients, sure, do it that way.

Thanks.

I had two other questions. One was quick the other not so much: Back to this equation above, I was wondering since the equation is 3x + 98(-y) = 12, how can I use the diophantine procedure if the values are not relatively prime? i.e don't I have to set it up in the form:

3x + 98(-y) = 1...and then once I plow through with the euclidean algorithm Multiply through by 12 in this case. What happens if I don't get a gcd of 1 between my two values? Can I still use this?The other question had to do with squared terms:

13x^2 - 23y^2 = 1...how do I deal with the squares?

trap101 said:
Thanks.

I had two other questions. One was quick the other not so much: Back to this equation above, I was wondering since the equation is 3x + 98(-y) = 12, how can I use the diophantine procedure if the values are not relatively prime? i.e don't I have to set it up in the form:

3x + 98(-y) = 1...and then once I plow through with the euclidean algorithm Multiply through by 12 in this case. What happens if I don't get a gcd of 1 between my two values? Can I still use this?The other question had to do with squared terms:

13x^2 - 23y^2 = 1...how do I deal with the squares?

If the gcd isn't one, then you won't have a solution at all the if constant on the right side isn't divisible by the gcd. If it is, then divide the equation by the gcd. The second one I'd need to give some more thought to. Do you have any ideas from the course?

Dick said:
If the gcd isn't one, then you won't have a solution at all the if constant on the right side isn't divisible by the gcd. If it is, then divide the equation by the gcd. The second one I'd need to give some more thought to. Do you have any ideas from the course?

I don't remember him talking about it specifically this time, but I sat in on some lectures during the last semester and what I remember is something along the lines of some sort of factoring technique...vague I know. I'm stumped and haven't found much online either.

How about considering ##13x^2 \equiv 1\,mod\,23?##?

1. What is a simple Diophantine equation?

A simple Diophantine equation is an equation where the unknown variables are required to be integers. The goal is to find integer solutions that make the equation true.

2. What is the difference between a Diophantine equation and a regular algebraic equation?

The main difference is that a Diophantine equation only allows for integer solutions, while a regular algebraic equation can have solutions in any real numbers.

3. Are there any limitations to solving simple Diophantine equations?

Yes, there are limitations. For example, there are certain equations that are impossible to solve using only integer solutions, such as x^2 + y^2 = 3. Additionally, there are some equations that have an infinite number of solutions, making it impossible to list them all.

4. How are simple Diophantine equations used in real life?

Simple Diophantine equations have numerous applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. They are also used in the study of patterns and sequences in mathematics.

5. Can computer algorithms be used to solve simple Diophantine equations?

Yes, there are various algorithms that have been developed to solve simple Diophantine equations, such as the Extended Euclidean algorithm or the Chinese Remainder Theorem. These algorithms are often used in computer programs to efficiently find solutions to these types of equations.