1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Direct Proof

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    Let n be an integer. Prove that if n + 5 is odd, then 3n + 2 is even.

So the instructions say to use a direct proof. I couldnt figure that method out, so I used a controposition proof and that seemed to work ok. Here are my contraposition steps:

Assume 3n+2 is odd
    Def of odd: n=2k+1
    n+5=2k+1+5 = 2k+6 = 2(k+3)
    n+5 is even (multiple of 2)
    since negation of conclusion implies hypothesis is false, original statement is true.

Im pretty sure thats correct, but how could this be done using a direct proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

3n+2 is odd, but you assumed that n itself was odd when you plugged n=2k+1 into n+5

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    Office Shredder is right, your proof if flawed. 3n+2 is odd means for some natural number m, 3n + 2 = 2m + 1

With that in mind, let’s try a direct proof.
    By definition what does n + 5 being odd mean? It means that: n + 5 = 2m + 1 for some natural m.
    Can we solve for n? If we do, can we plug n into 3n + 2? Can we simplify and pull out a factor of 2? If we can pull out a factor of two, what does that mean?

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4
    Ahh ok I see! So n=2k-4 and 3n+2=2(k-5) which means 3n+2 is even...thanks alot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook