Simple Division Proof: 15|n iff 5|n and 3|n

In summary, we can prove that for every integer n, 15|n iff 5|n and 3|n. The "if" direction has been proven and for the "only if" direction, we can take (2j - k) as our desired value to show that 15|n.
Syrus

Homework Statement

Prove that for every integer n, 15|n iff 5|n and 3|n.

I have proven the "if" direction. My question regards the "only if" portion of the proof.
So far I have:

(<--) Suppose 5|n and 3|n. Then there are j,k ∈ Z for which n = 5j and n = 3k.

*above, Z stands for the set of integers

I have found that both (j + k)/8 and (j - k)/2 seem to provide the desired value to show that 15|n, however I am not entirely sure how to show that either of these values is an integer (as is required by the definition of "divides"). I assume I am not proposing a clever enough value (or form) for the divisor. Any advice on this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh heh, stupid me. It looks like a better form of the desired value is 2k - j, which of course an integer. The proof of the "only if" direction then goes:

(<---) Suppose 3|n and 5|n. Then there are j,k ∈ Z for which n = 5j and n = 3k. Note, then, that (2j - k) ∈ Z and also:
(15)(2j - k) = (30j - 15k) = (6)(5j) - (5)(3k) = 6n - 5n = n.

=)

Last edited:

1. How do you prove a division problem using simple division?

To prove a division problem using simple division, you need to divide the dividend (the number being divided) by the divisor (the number that divides the dividend) and check if the remainder is equal to 0. If the remainder is 0, then the division is valid and proven correct.

2. What is the formula for simple division?

The formula for simple division is dividend ÷ divisor = quotient. The quotient is the result or answer of the division problem.

3. How can you use simple division to solve real-life problems?

Simple division can be used to solve various real-life problems, such as calculating the price of multiple items when given the total cost and number of items, or determining the average speed of a car by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken.

4. What is the difference between simple division and long division?

The main difference between simple division and long division is the number of steps involved. In simple division, you only need to divide the dividend by the divisor and check the remainder. In long division, you need to divide, multiply, and subtract multiple times until you get the final answer.

5. Can simple division be used for all types of numbers?

Simple division can be used for all types of numbers, including whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. However, for fractions and decimals, you may need to convert them into equivalent fractions or decimals before dividing to get the correct answer.