1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple dynamic accell problem

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    The acceleration of a particle along an x axis is a = 5.0t, with t in seconds and a in meters per second squared. At t = 2.0 s, its velocity is +13 m/s. What is its velocity at t = 6.5 s?

I dont really know how to go about this, as it is a dynamic acceleration, any help would be greatly appreciated

so far all I have got is a=deltaV/deltaT

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's OK for average acceleration, but for instantaneous acceleration use a derivative: [itex]a = dv/dt[/itex].

Given acceleration, how do you find velocity? Hint: Use a little calculus.

4. Sep 6, 2007 #3
    well I would multiply by the time passage, but again this only works for constant acell right? my problem is the derivative, I know how to do them, but i don't understand how that applies. the derivative of a is 5 right? thats great, but what do I do after that

5. Sep 6, 2007 #4

Doc Al

If you were given v, you'd take its derivative to find a. But you have the opposite situation: You are given a and need to find v. What do you do?

6. Sep 6, 2007 #5
    integrate? so 2.5t^2=v

7. Sep 6, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Good! But don't forget the constant of integration.

8. Sep 6, 2007 #7
    wow awesome thanks a lot.

9. Jan 12, 2008 #8
    Finding position

I have run across the same type of problem, but I am being asked what the position is. Below is what was given.

Acceleration of a point is a=20t m/s^2. When t=0, s=40 meters and v=-10 m/s. What is the position at t=3 sec?

I've used a=dv/dt to get the velocity, v=80 m/s.

I'm not sure were to start to get the position. Can you advise?

Thank you.

10. Jan 13, 2008 #9

Doc Al

Using a=dv/dt, you integrated to get the velocity. But v = dx/dt, so integrate once again to get the position.

11. Jan 13, 2008 #10
    For velocity I got v=10t^2 + c, and pluged 3 in for t and -10 in for c. This gave me v=80 m/s.

If i integrate once more to get position I get s=(10t^3)/3+ct.

Am I correct with the constant?
    Plug 3 in for t, and -10 in for c again.

I think Im getting confused with the constant.

12. Jan 13, 2008 #11

Doc Al

That's the velocity at t = 3; in general it's: v=10t^2 - 10.

But you forgot the new constant of integration. (Hint: You are given the position at t = 0.)

13. Jan 13, 2008 #12
    Thats what I was forgetting.

Therefore s=(10t^3)/3+ct+d.

Where
    t=3
    c=-10
    d=40

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?