Minimum Applied Force for Block and Cart Dynamics Problem

• Thread starter Felafel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary: F_a}=\vec{F_N} + \vec{F_f}## the latter being the force applied to C, which makes it move.The minimum value of Fa is the question. So ##F_a\geq\frac{m \cdot g}{μ}+ \frac{m^2 \cdot g}{μ \cdot M}##
Felafel

Homework Statement

I've solved it already, I think. I'm just not sure about the result.

There is a block (B), which is touching a cart (C) on one side.
Let an external force, parallel to the surface, ##\vec{F_a}## be applied on B

mass of B = m; mass of C = M; static friction coefficient between B and C = μ.

Taking no notice of the ground's friction, what is the minimum value of ##\vec{F_a}## such that the block doesn't fall?

The Attempt at a Solution

After drawing the free-body diagram for B, i see:
##\vec{F_s}## (static friction force) ##\leq m \cdot \vec{g}##
and being ##\vec{F_s}=μ \cdot \vec{F_N}## i get ##\vec{F_N}= \frac{m \cdot \vec{g}}{μ}##
##\vec{F_a}=\vec{F_N} + \vec{F_f}## the latter being the force applied to C, which makes it move.
##\vec{F_f}=\frac{\vec{F_N}}{M} * m## . So,
##\vec{F_a}=\frac{m \cdot g}{μ}+ \frac{m^2 \cdot g}{μ \cdot M}##

is it okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
You made some little errors.

Felafel said:

Homework Statement

I've solved it already, I think. I'm just not sure about the result.

There is a block (B), which is touching a cart (C) on one side.
Let an external force, parallel to the surface, ##\vec{F_a}## be applied on B

mass of B = m; mass of C = M; static friction coefficient between B and C = μ.

Taking no notice of the ground's friction, what is the minimum value of ##\vec{F_a}## such that the block doesn't fall?

The Attempt at a Solution

After drawing the free-body diagram for B, i see:
##\vec{F_s}## (static friction force) ##\leq m \cdot \vec{g}##

##\vec{F_s}## (static friction force) ##=-m \cdot \vec{g}##

Felafel said:
and being ##\vec{F_s}=μ \cdot \vec{F_N}## i get ##\vec{F_N}= \frac{m \cdot \vec{g}}{μ}##

##{F_s}\leq \mu \cdot {F_N}##

Felafel said:

##\vec{F_a}=\vec{F_N} + \vec{F_f}## the latter being the force applied to C, which makes it move.

is it okay?

The minimum value of Fa is the question. So ##F_a\geq\frac{m \cdot g}{μ}+ \frac{m^2 \cdot g}{μ \cdot M}##

ehild

Felafel said:
##\vec{F_f}=\frac{\vec{F_N}}{M} * m##.
Can you explain these two steps? I don't follow what you did here.

Felafel said:
As vela notes, this is wrong. Try introducing an unknown for the acceleration of the system and developing the F=ma equation for each body separately.

Felafel said:
{μ}##

is it okay?

You meant by Ff the resultant force acting on B instead of C, didn't you?

haruspex: The OP solved the problem, but made some little errors when typing in. The result for the minimum applied force is correct, except the vector sign.

ehild

1. What is "Simple Dynamics Problem"?

Simple dynamics problem refers to a type of physics problem that involves the study of the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them. These problems typically involve basic concepts such as Newton's laws of motion and kinematics.

2. What are some examples of "Simple Dynamics Problems"?

Some examples of simple dynamics problems include calculating the acceleration of a falling object, determining the force required to move an object at a constant velocity, and analyzing the motion of a projectile.

3. How do you approach solving a "Simple Dynamics Problem"?

To solve a simple dynamics problem, it is important to first identify the given information and what is being asked to find. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles, such as Newton's laws, to set up and solve the problem. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all given values.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving "Simple Dynamics Problems"?

One common mistake when solving simple dynamics problems is using the wrong equation or principle. It is important to carefully read the problem and understand what is being asked. Another mistake is not including all the forces acting on the object or not considering the direction of the forces.

5. How can "Simple Dynamics Problems" be applied in real life?

Understanding simple dynamics problems can help in various real-life scenarios, such as designing structures that can withstand different forces, predicting the motion of objects in sports or amusement park rides, and analyzing the movement of vehicles on the road. It is also useful for understanding the behavior of objects in everyday situations, such as throwing a ball or riding a bike.