1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Eigenvector Question

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    Hi,

So for some reason I have the hardest time trying to work with polynomials in linear algebra. I can't explain it, but whenever I see a question I draw a complete blank.

Question: i) Find all the eigenvalues. ii) for each eigenvalue λ, find a basis of the eigenspace Eλ.

T: P3(R) --> P3(R) defined by T(p)(x) = p'(x) + 2p(x)

So this is all I'm given. My question is what polynomials do I use to find the eigenvalues, and once I find those eigenvalues how do I find the eigenvectors? I'm inclined to try and solve it like eigenvector problems with matrices, problem is I don't know how to put this into a matrix.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to solve the problem [itex] p'(x) + 2p(x) = \lambda p(x),[/itex] and the solution must be a polynomial.

RGV

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3
    But what am I solving for? it can't be for lambda. In simple algebra I would have the polynomial and solve for "x". Do I use the standard basis vectors?

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this case you are solving a first-order linear differential equation that happens to have a parameter, λ, in it. In other words, you need to find the function p(x).

RGV

6. Feb 20, 2012 #5
    Oh, I should mention that I haven't done differential equations yet at my Uni. Only have Calc courses and Linear Algebra part I.

What I wanted to do was solve it as if it was searching for an eigenvector but with matrices. But an issue I always have is I don't know how to transform the polynomial into a matrix, expecially when I'm not given a specific polynomial.

7. Feb 20, 2012 #6

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

What is the basis for your space? HINT: you need to find 4 polynomials, such that any cubic polynomial can be expressed as their sum. There are many possible choices, but probably only a few natural ones.

Okay assuming you can answer that question here is how you would find a matrix representation for the operator. Say the basis is [itex] e_i [/itex] for [itex] i = 1 ... 4 [/itex].

Define the vectors [itex] v_j [/itex] as

[tex] v_j = T (e_j) [/tex]

So above line means you take your polynomials that you chose as your basis, and you apply the operator T to them which amounts to adding twice the polynomial to its own derivative.

Now since [itex] v_j [/itex] must be cubic polynomials, you must be able to express them uniquely in the basis you chose. Say this representation is
    [tex] v_j = b_{1j}e_1 + b_{2j}e_2 + b_{3j}e_3 + b_{4j}e_4 [/tex]
    Your matrix is now given by [itex] T_{ij} = b_{ij} [/itex]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  8. Feb 20, 2012 #7
    Ahhh. Thank you. So to build on that question, because it always seems to pop up in some fashion or another. If I'm not given any vectors that I have to specifically apply my linear transformation to, should I just assume that I can use the standard basis vectors? Because my troubles always occur when I don't know what vectors should be chosen.

The reason I ask is because there is a similar question where i have to verify that the given vector is an eigenvector:

p = x3 ....under the same P3 conditions, but defined by: T(x) =
    xp' - 4p. Now the eigenvector condition is T(x) = λx. So do I use the standard basis vectors of P3 in that transformation and try to obtain the λ that would prove this?

9. Feb 20, 2012 #8

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

It shouldn't matter what intermediate basis you work in. When you re-express the eigen-vectors as polynomials they should be the same no matter what basis you chose. If an eigen-space for a particular eigen-value had dimension greater than 1, then the individual polynomials you get might be different but collectively they should span the same space.

10. Feb 20, 2012 #9
    Thanks. I'm going to give this all a try, hopefully there won't be any problems

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook