What is the final velocity of the two balls in an elastic collision?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two balls colliding and the final velocities of the balls. The two equations used to solve the problem are the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. The attempt at a solution involves finding the final velocities of the balls using these equations, but there is an arithmetic mistake in the solution. The mistake is corrected by squaring the binomial correctly.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I can't believe I cannot get this! I am trying to help out my gf with this problem:

A 5 kg ball moving at 2 m/s to the right collides with a 7.5 kg stationary ball. If the collision is elastic, what are the final velocities of the 2 balls?

Homework Equations

Momentum is Conserved
KE is conserved

The Attempt at a Solution

Momentum

[itex](m_1v_1)_o+(m_2v_2)_o = (m_1v_1)_f+(m_2v_2)_f[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow (5)(2) + (7.5)(0) = 5v_{1f} + 7.5v_{2f} [/itex]

[itex]v_{1f} = 2 - 1.5v_{2f} \qquad (1)[/itex]

Energy

[itex]0.5(m_1v_1^2)_o+0.5(m_2v_2^2)_o = 0.5(m_1v_1^2)_f+0.5(m_2v_2^2)_f[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow (5)(2)^2 = 5v_{1f}^2 + 7.5v_2f}^2[/itex]

[tex]v_{1f} = \sqrt{4 - 1.5v_{2f}^2} \qquad (2)[/tex]

From (1) and (2), we have

[tex]2 - 1.5v_{2f} = \sqrt{4 - 1.5v_{2f}^2}[/tex]

[itex]\Rightarrow 4 - 3v_{2f} + 2.25v_{2f}^2 = 4 - 1.5v_{2f}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow 3.75v_{2f}^2 - 3v_{2f} = 0 = (3.75v_{2f} - 3)v_{2f} [/itex]

[itex] \Rightarrow v_{2f} = 0.8 m/s[/itex]

Which is incorrect.

What the heck am I missing? I feel like such an amateur right now! :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a simple arithmetic mistake... you didn't square the binomial correctly in...

(2 - 1.5v_2f) ^ 2

the cross term is -6v_2f not -3v_2f.

Elvex said:
It's a simple arithmetic mistake... you didn't square the binomial correctly in...

(2 - 1.5v_2f) ^ 2

the cross term is -6v_2f not -3v_2f.

Oh jeesh...thank you Elvex!

1. What is a simple elastic collision?

A simple elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy are observed. This means that after the collision, the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system remains constant.

2. How is a simple elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and it is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In a simple elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other without losing any energy.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a simple elastic collision?

The masses and velocities of the objects involved in the collision are the main factors that affect the outcome. The angle of collision and the coefficients of restitution (a measure of the elasticity of the objects) also play a role in determining the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

4. How is momentum conserved in a simple elastic collision?

In a simple elastic collision, momentum is conserved through the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system before and after a collision remains constant. This means that the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the two objects after the collision.

5. Can a simple elastic collision occur between more than two objects?

Yes, a simple elastic collision can occur between any number of objects as long as all the objects involved are following the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. In these cases, the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system will still remain constant after the collision.