1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple electrochem prob

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    An electrochemical cell of notation Pd|Pd2+ || Ni2+ |Ni has Eo = -1.45 V. If we know that the standard reduction potential of Ni2+ /Ni is Eo = -0.25 V, what is the standard reduction potential for Pd2+/Pd?

hey guys. this is my working
    Ecell=reduction-oxidation
    therefore Pd is anode therefore oxidisin and Ni is cathode therefore reducin.
    so i sub this into formula -1.45=-0.25-oxidation therefore oxidation=-1.20 however the answer is positive 1.20, why is this? anyhelp would be good thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2
    Hello there,

This can be considered as a "tricky" question. I did not arrive at the right answer on my first try.

You have to read the question carefully. Although you calculated the standard OXIDATION potential for Pd -> Pd2+ + 2e- correctly, you are asked for this half-reaction's standard REDUCTION potential (and NOT oxidation potential). Therefore, the correct answer is -(-1.20) = 1.20.

I hope that this helps!

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    thanks mate, cleared that problem up good. thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook