1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Equation Writing

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    I am doing the write up for one of my labs. In this write up we combined HCl with some of the elements from from the Carbon group (C, Si, Sn, Pb).

Naturally, my professor wants us to express what occured in equation form. But I am not sure if I am doing it correctly... here is what I have so far:

C + 2HCl --> C(Cl)2 + H2

I didn't want to continue with the other 3 elements just in case I'm doing it wrong...So any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know what oxidation state the carbon ended up in?
    Did you weight the reactants to determine how much C an Cl are used or are you supposed to know this from the chemistry?

I would have though C would go to C Cl4

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Honestly put, this was a very basic lab. We simply dropped a small piece of solid Carbon into a beaker-full of HCl.

For the Pb would the equation be: 2HCl + Pb --> PbCl2 + H2 OR 4HCl + Pb --> PbCl4 + H4?

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to look up (or you could calculate it - but this is rather more advanced) what the final oxidation state of the carbon (etc) is eg C 2+ or C 4+.
    then you just need to write a balanced equation to work out how man HCl you need to add to get to that.

Carbon tetrachloride is a common solvent so carbon definately forms C Cl4 - I don't know about the others.

ps. It wouldn't be 2H or 4H since Hydrogen forms a molecule of 2 atoms, it would be H2 or 2 H2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook