Solving the Graph of Equation (y^2)=a(x^2): True Statement?

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
In summary: If I read the question again, it says that a is "positive constant". Are you stressing on the point that the squares of a negative number is always positive??No, I'm not stressing on that point. What do you mean by "positive constant"?
ritwik06

Homework Statement

For the graph of equation (y^2)=a(x^2), where a is a positive constant, whic of the following is true?
1) y increases linearly with x
2) y increases as the square of x
3) y increases as y^1/2
4) If x increases, y can increase or decrease.

Homework Equations

y is directly proportional to x. as a is a constant, the first option would be right!

The Attempt at a Solution

Is my approach right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all, I'm afraid. Rewrite your equation as:
[tex](y-(\sqrt{a})x)(y+(\sqrt{a})x)=0[/tex]
Now, two questions:
1. Why is this rewriting permissible?
2. What must you conclude from it?

Last edited:
arildno said:
Not all, I'm afraid. Rewrite your equation as:
[tex](y-(\sqrt{a})x)(y+(\sqrt{a})x)=0[/tex]
Now, two questions:
1. Why is this rewriting permissible?
2. What must you conclude from it?

Ans 1 because the difference of two squares can be factorised as suc:
a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)

Ans 2. I don't know what can be concluded! Please be clear!

Well, if two numbers multiplied together is zero, what can we say about those numbers?

arildno said:
Well, if two numbers multiplied together is zero, what can we say about those numbers?

That anyone of them is equal to zero or both are zero.

So,
EITHER:
[tex]y=\sqrt{a}x[/tex]
OR
[tex]y=-\sqrt{a}x[/tex]

Given that knowledge, which statement is true?

arildno said:
So,
EITHER:
[tex]y=\sqrt{a}x[/tex]
OR
[tex]y=-\sqrt{a}x[/tex]

Given that knowledge, which statement is true?

The fourth option? :approve:

Yup :smile:

arildno said:
Yup :smile:

but sir. I agree totally with you. But if you look at it straight away, it seems that y is directly proprtional to x. hence they will have a linear relationship. How will you criticize this point? Thanks for the effort! :approve:

Three flaws:

1. As for direct proportionality (i.e, ratio constant), remember that the proportionality constant in such a relation can be positive or negative, so that from mere direct proportionality, you cannot conclude that y will increase with x, it could equally well decrease with x.

2. If we assume that the y-coordinate is to be regarded as a FUNCTION of the x-coordinate (so that we limit ourselves to only a part of the permissible solution pairs of the original equation), we might have a discontinuous function relationship in that in one x-region, the function values followed the upper line, and in an adjoining x-region, the function values follow the lower line.
In this case, we see that the ratio x/y is NOT constant, that is direct proportionality do not hold between x and y

3. There is no reason why we should assume that there exist any function relating x-values to y-values. Indeed, the solution set to the equation do not permit a function construction in general.

To be sure, if we limit ourselves to just a part of the solution set, then we may, indeed, have some functional relation between the picked (x,y)-values.
But that is a totally different issue.

ritwik06 said:
but sir. I agree totally with you. But if you look at it straight away, it seems that y is directly proprtional to x. hence they will have a linear relationship. How will you criticize this point? Thanks for the effort! :approve:

This is really only echoing arildno but:

I would "criticise" that point by saying "Yes, it true- but off the point." The answer did not say "linearly related", it said "increases linearly". That was arildno's point.

ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement

For the graph of equation (y^2)=a(x^2), where a is a positive constant, whic of the following is true?
1) y increases linearly with x
2) y increases as the square of x
3) y increases as y^1/2
4) If x increases, y can increase or decrease.

Homework Equations

y is directly proportional to x. as a is a constant, the first option would be right!

The Attempt at a Solution

Is my approach right?

arildno said:
Three flaws:

1. As for direct proportionality (i.e, ratio constant), remember that the proportionality constant in such a relation can be positive or negative, so that from mere direct proportionality, you cannot conclude that y will increase with x, it could equally well decrease with x.

2. If we assume that the y-coordinate is to be regarded as a FUNCTION of the x-coordinate (so that we limit ourselves to only a part of the permissible solution pairs of the original equation), we might have a discontinuous function relationship in that in one x-region, the function values followed the upper line, and in an adjoining x-region, the function values follow the lower line.
In this case, we see that the ratio x/y is NOT constant, that is direct proportionality do not hold between x and y

3. There is no reason why we should assume that there exist any function relating x-values to y-values. Indeed, the solution set to the equation do not permit a function construction in general.

To be sure, if we limit ourselves to just a part of the solution set, then we may, indeed, have some functional relation between the picked (x,y)-values.
But that is a totally different issue.

If I read the question again, it says that a is "positive constant". Are you stressing on the point that the squares of a negative number is always positive??

HallsofIvy said:
This is really only echoing arildno but:

I would "criticise" that point by saying "Yes, it true- but off the point." The answer did not say "linearly related", it said "increases linearly". That was arildno's point.

Whats the difference between "inearly related" and "increases linearly"?

ritwik06 said:
If I read the question again, it says that a is "positive constant". Are you stressing on the point that the squares of a negative number is always positive??
Yes, and so with y2= ax2 we can have either
[itex]y= \sqrt{a}x[/itex] or [itex]y= -\sqrt{a}x[/itex]

Whats the difference between "inearly related" and "increases linearly"?
In both [itex]y= \sqrt{a}x[/itex] and [itex]y= -\sqrt{a}x[/itex] y and x are "linearly related". In the first, y "increases linearly" with x but in the second y "decreases linearly" with x.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, and so with y2= ax2 we can have either
[itex]y= \sqrt{a}x[/itex] or [itex]y= -\sqrt{a}x[/itex]

In both [itex]y= \sqrt{a}x[/itex] and [itex]y= -\sqrt{a}x[/itex] y and x are "linearly related". In the first, y "increases linearly" with x but in the second y "decreases linearly" with x.

Thanks a lot for the efforts. o:)

What is the equation for solving the graph of (y^2)=a(x^2)?

The equation is (y^2)=a(x^2), where a is a constant.

How do you graph (y^2)=a(x^2)?

To graph (y^2)=a(x^2), you can use a table of values to plug in different values for x and solve for y. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the points and connect them to create a curve.

What does the graph of (y^2)=a(x^2) look like?

The graph is a parabola that opens in either the positive or negative direction, depending on the value of a. If a is positive, the parabola opens in the same direction as a regular parabola. If a is negative, the parabola opens in the opposite direction.

What is the significance of a in the equation (y^2)=a(x^2)?

The value of a determines the shape and orientation of the parabola. A larger absolute value of a will result in a narrower and taller parabola, while a smaller absolute value of a will result in a wider and shorter parabola.

Can the equation (y^2)=a(x^2) have multiple solutions?

Yes, the equation can have multiple solutions. Each value of a will result in a different parabola, and each parabola will have two solutions for y for every value of x.