1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple equilibrium problem

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [PLAIN]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8828/capage1.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

F = ma
    Sum of moments about a point = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt can be seen above. The only part which I seem to have a problem with is part f. In order for there to be a deceleration there must be a nett force acting upwards.

Therefore I figure that part a force would remain the same as the mass hasn't changed.

part b force would also remain the same

and part c force would increase so as to produce the decelleration? f=ma so the nett force would need to be f = 600N, therefore it would increase by 600N?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

No. Part A force has to not only match the weight, but in addition provide an upward acceleration. since that acceleration is equal in magnitude to the acceleration due to gravity when an object is dropped, the force will be twice the size.

ie: for a 500N person, the upward force of 500N means they don't move [as when you are standing there.
    An upward force of 1000N is needed to get an upward acceleration of 10 ms-2.

think: downward force 500N [gravity] upward force 1000N applied force. Net force 500N up.

while the person was falling, the 500N downward force was providing an acceleration of 10 ms-2 down - like all things that fall.

The net force of 500N up will provide an acceleration of 10 ms-2 up, as required.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook