1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Error Analysis Problem

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    I'm having a problem with something I know should be simple, but my answer is off so I'm doing something wrong.

I need to find the amount of error for an acceleration that was found using the formula a=2d/t^2. Where d represents distance travelled. There is no uncertainty in the distance measurement, only the time.

Could someone please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\Delta a=\left|\Delta \left(\frac{2d}{t^{2}}\right)\right| =4dt^{-3} \Delta t[/tex]

Daniel.

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3

xanthym

Science Advisor

Just in case you're also interested in the SIGN of the error "Δa" in "a" for a given error "Δt" in "t":

[tex] 1: \ \ \ \ \Delta a \ = \ \Delta \left(\frac{2d}{t^{2}}\right) \ = \ \left ( \frac{\color{red} \mathbf{-} \color{black} 4d}{t^{3}} \right ) \Delta t [/tex]

~~

5. Apr 7, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are no such things as negative errors.Errors always add...

I'm not interested in that minus...

Daniel.

6. Apr 7, 2005 #5
    Yes, reported errors are standard deviations (or they should be), and hence are always positive (the definition of standard deviation of [itex]X[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{\mbox{Var} X}[/itex]).

7. Apr 7, 2005 #6

xanthym

Science Advisor

The term "error" alone can be ambiguous. "Standard Deviation" and "Variance" are much more specific, and they are always positive and always "add":

[tex] 1: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \color{blue}\mbox{Var(a)}\color{black} \ = \ \overline { \left ( \Delta a \right )^{2}} \ = \ \overline{ \left ( \Delta \left(\frac{2d}{t^{2}}\right) \right )^{2} }\ = \ \left ( \frac{-4d}{t^{3}} \right )^{2} \overline{ \left ( \Delta t \right )^{2} } \ \ + \ \ \left ( \frac{2}{t^{2}} \right )^{2} \overline{ \left ( \Delta d \right )^{2} } [/tex]

[tex] : \hspace{9cm} \left ( For \ \ \overline{\Delta a} = \overline{\Delta t} = \overline{\Delta d} = \overline{\Delta t \Delta d} = 0 \right ) [/tex]

[tex] 2: \ \ \ \ \color{red}(\mbox{Standard Deviation})\color{black} \ = \ +\sqrt{\color{blue} \mbox{Var(a)}} [/tex]

The question here is what the OP had in mind. (We don't know what the OP originally meant by the term in Msg #1.) You :wink: may not be interested in the (-) sign, but the OP might have been ... thus the clarification in Msg #3.

~~

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?