1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple exponential integral

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    This is part of double integral. I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The inner integral comes out to be:

[tex]\int_0^\infty{e^{-xy}dy}[/tex]

I emailed my teacher to help me through it, and he says this should integrate down to 1/X but I can't seem to figure out how. I'm no good with exponentials and differentiation/integration.

The antiderivative of [itex]e^{-xy}[/itex] is [itex]-xe^{-xy}[/itex] correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2
    Treat [tex]x[/tex] as a constant when doing this table integral with respect to the dummy variable [tex]y[/tex]. It only converges if [tex]x > 0[/tex].

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    In English would be preferable. :)

5. Apr 18, 2010 #4
    Please cover the section on Parametric Integrals. kthnxbai.

6. Apr 18, 2010 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is incorrect. Differentiate your result with respect to y. Do you get [itex]e^{-xy}[/itex]?

Get in the habit of double-checking your work, and in longer calculations, double-check your intermediate results. It might take a bit of extra work to do so, but it will save a lot of wasted effort.

7. Apr 18, 2010 #6
    Obviously, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know that down to this point, everything's correct, as I've double-checked it vs what the teacher had given to me.

I realize I have to differentiate it with respect to y but this is where I'm having trouble. Would it be [itex](e^{-xy})/-x[/itex]? I'm not sure how to go through this one.

8. Apr 18, 2010 #7
    it is a definite integral! You need to use the newton - leibinitz formula (a.k.a the fundamental theorem of calculus) and substitute the limits!

9. Apr 18, 2010 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are making this too hard. This is an easy problem.

Suppose a is some constant. What is

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-ax}\,dx[/tex]

Conceptually, there is zero difference between the above and the problem at hand. Stop thinking of x as always being a variable. It isn't in this case.

10. Apr 18, 2010 #9
    That's what I've been trying to do for a few hours now. I know x isn't a variable. I know it's a constant.

In the case of your question:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-ax}\,dx[/tex]

[tex](\frac{e^{-ax}}{-a})_0^\infty[/tex]

[tex](0-(1/-a))=1/a[/tex]

yes?

11. Apr 18, 2010 #10
    Now, substitute [tex]a \rightarrow x[/tex] and look at the hint your instructor gave you. Also, consider when you can make the value on the upper bound equal zero as you did.

12. Apr 18, 2010 #11
    So:
    [tex]\int_0^\infty{e^{-xy}}dy = \frac{e^{-xy}}{-x}_0^\infty = 0+1/x [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook