Solving for x in Simple Exponential Problem

• Thread starter thelannonmonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation 5(0.10)^x = 4(0.12)^x and the struggle to solve for x. The individual tries using the property ln(a^x) = x*ln(a) but has difficulty finding the correct answer on paper. The solution is found to be x = 1.2239011 when graphing the two equations and using the intersection finder. However, the individual makes a mistake by using log (0.5^x) instead of log (0.10^x). With the correct calculation, the solution is verified to be correct.
thelannonmonk
5(0.10)^x = 4(0.12)^x... x = ? getting aggravated

Homework Statement

5(0.10)^x = 4(0.12)^x

this problem is driving me nuts. i graphed it and got x~1.2239011 but I can't find it on paper.

i have been using the property ln(a^x) = x*ln(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried doing x*ln(0.50) = x*ln(0.48)

but i still can't get it. it is making me crazy. i thought i was good at math :(

every time i try to solve it, my x's disappear. i always end up dividing ax/bx and losing them. it is driving me absolutely crazy. is there a different property i should be using? I'm almost positive that all i should need is ln(a^x) = x*ln(a)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
also, I'm not sure if i should be getting 5x*ln(.1) = 4x*ln(.12) -or- x*ln(.5)=x*ln(.48)

0.1 = e^a
ln(0.1) = a

5*(0.1)^x = 5*(e^a)^x

i don't think you understand my question. i have to solve for x for...

5(0.10)^x = 4(0.12)^x

when i graph 5(0.10)^x and 4(0.12)^x and use the intersection finder, i get x = 1.2239011, which when i plug into the equation yields a correct answer (.29856 = .29856)

but i simply can't find this answer on the paper.

In Sec. 3 of the OP, log (5 * 0.10^x) = log 5 + x * log (0.10) NOT log (0.5^x)
Remember, exponentiation takes precedence over simple multiplication.

SteamKing said:
In Sec. 3 of the OP, log (5 * 0.10^x) = log 5 + x * log (0.10) NOT log (0.5^x)
Remember, exponentiation takes precedence over simple multiplication.

800px-Picard-facepalm.jpg

ohhh man, that's embarrassing. thanks for your help! should have had that one

What is a simple exponential problem?

A simple exponential problem is a mathematical problem that involves a base number raised to a power. The power is usually a positive integer and represents the number of times the base number is multiplied by itself. The solution to a simple exponential problem is found by using the exponent rules.

How do you solve a simple exponential problem?

To solve a simple exponential problem, you can use the exponent rules. The most common rules are the Product Rule, Quotient Rule, and Power Rule. The Product Rule states that when multiplying two exponential expressions with the same base, you can add the exponents. The Quotient Rule states that when dividing two exponential expressions with the same base, you can subtract the exponents. The Power Rule states that when raising an exponential expression to a power, you can multiply the exponents.

What are some real-life applications of simple exponential problems?

Simple exponential problems can be used to model population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in physics and chemistry to represent exponential growth and decay of certain substances or phenomena.

What are some common mistakes made when solving simple exponential problems?

One common mistake is not applying the exponent rules correctly. It is important to remember to add, subtract, or multiply the exponents depending on the rule being used. Another mistake is not simplifying the final answer, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to pay attention to negative exponents and know how to convert them to positive exponents.

Are there other types of exponential problems besides simple exponential problems?

Yes, there are more complex exponential problems such as compound exponential problems, logarithmic equations, and exponential growth and decay models. These types of problems involve more advanced algebraic techniques and may require a deeper understanding of exponential functions.