Understanding the Exponential Property of Complex Numbers

In summary, this conversation discusses the relationship between exponential rules and complex analysis. The main point of confusion is why e^(i*PI*t) * e^(i*PI) is equal to -e^(i*PI*t). The solution is found by using trigonometric identities and recognizing that e^(i*PI) is equal to -1. This is just another way to express the same concept.
swoosh
I'm currently learning complex analysis, and there's something I can't quite get...

Usually:
Code:
e^2 * e^3 = e^(2+3) = e^5

So why is that:
Code:
e^(i*PI*t) * e^(i*PI) = -e^(i*PI*t)
?

I was able to get the solution from:
Code:
e^(i*PI*t) * e^(i*PI) = 
  = (Cos(PI*t) + iSin(PI*t)) * (Cos(PI) + iSin(PI)) =
  = (Cos(PI*t) + iSin(PI*t)) * (-1) =
  = -e^(i*PI*t)

But, what am I missing? :redface:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are missing anything, it is just another way to say the same thing.

[tex]
e^{i\pi t}e^{i\pi}=e^{i\pi t+i\pi}=-e^{i\pi t}
[/tex]

Because as you have derived yourself
[tex]
e^{i\pi}=-1
[/tex]

Hm, I see.

The first time I came across this I just assumed:
[tex]
e^{i\pi t}e^{i\pi}=e^{i\pi t+i\pi}=e^{i\pi (t+1)}
[/tex]
was the simplest way it could get.

Well, thanks again! :smile:

What is a simple exponential question?

A simple exponential question is a mathematical problem that involves an exponential function, where the variable is in the exponent. It is typically written in the form y = ab^x, where b is the base and x is the exponent.

How do you solve a simple exponential question?

To solve a simple exponential question, you can use the laws of exponents to manipulate the equation into a form that is easier to solve. This may involve taking the logarithm of both sides, or using the power rule to simplify the equation.

What is the difference between a simple exponential question and a compound exponential question?

The main difference between a simple exponential question and a compound exponential question is that a simple exponential equation only has one variable in the exponent, while a compound exponential equation has multiple variables in the exponent. This makes compound exponential equations more complex and challenging to solve.

What are some real-life applications of simple exponential questions?

Simple exponential questions are commonly used in fields such as finance, biology, and physics. In finance, they can be used to calculate compound interest rates. In biology, they can be used to model population growth. In physics, they can be used to describe radioactive decay.

What are some tips for solving simple exponential questions?

Some tips for solving simple exponential questions include understanding the properties of exponents, using logarithms to simplify the equation, and being familiar with the laws of exponents. It is also important to carefully read the question and identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for.