Understanding the Evaluation Homomorphism and Isomorphism in Extension Fields

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary: So basically, the evaluation homomorphism for an algebraic element \alpha in an extension field E of F is defined as \phi_{\alpha}(p(x)) = p(\alpha) for any polynomial p(x) in F[x]. This allows us to view F[x] as a subring of E, and the image of \phi_{\alpha} is just the set of all elements in E that can be obtained by evaluating polynomials in F[x] at \alpha. And because \alpha is algebraic over F, the polynomial x-\alpha is the minimal polynomial for \alpha, so the ideal <x-\alpha> generated by it is the set of all polynomials with \alpha as a root. Therefore, F
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] simple extensions

Homework Statement

My book (Farleigh) says the following (I am paraphrasing):

Let E be an extension field of a field F, and let [itex] \alpha \in E[/itex]. Suppose [itex]\alpha[/itex] is algebraic over a field F. Let [itex]\phi_{\alpha}[/itex] be the evaluation homomorphism of F[x] into E with [itex]\phi_{\alpha}(a)=a[/itex] for [itex]a \in F[/itex] and [itex]\phi_{\alpha}(x)=\alpha[/itex] .

Suppose \alpha is algebraic over F. Then [itex]F[x]/<irr(\alpha,F)>[/itex] is isomorphic to the image of [itex]\phi_{\alpha}[F[x]][/itex] in E.

What I do not understand is how this can be true when [itex]\alpha[/itex] is in F. When [itex]\alpha[/itex] is in F, [itex]\phi_{\alpha}[F[x]][/itex] = F, but I think it is pretty clear that [itex]F[x]/<irr(\alpha,F)>=F[x]/<x-\alpha>[/itex] will not equal F because x - \alpha will generate a nontrivial ideal. What is wrong here!

Also, I do not understand why the stuff in bold is necessary. I thought that was obvious from the definition of an evaluation map.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am starting to kind of see why F[x]/<x-alpha> is isomorphic to F, but can someone explain/prove that please? It is probably really easy.

anyone?

If alpha is in F, then the evaluation at alpha homomorphism from F[x] to F is surjective and its kernel is <x-alpha>. So by the first isomorphism theorem, F[x]/<x-alpha> =~ F.

And about the bold stuff: it's probably there because that's the definition of phi_alpha.

That makes sense.

What is the evaluation homomorphism and isomorphism in extension fields?

The evaluation homomorphism and isomorphism in extension fields refer to mathematical concepts in abstract algebra that are used to understand and analyze algebraic structures known as fields. These concepts help to study the relationships between elements of a field and their corresponding polynomials.

How do the evaluation homomorphism and isomorphism work in extension fields?

The evaluation homomorphism is a function that maps elements of a field to their corresponding polynomials. It preserves the algebraic operations of addition and multiplication. Isomorphism, on the other hand, is a bijective homomorphism between fields, meaning it preserves both the algebraic operations and the one-to-one mapping of elements.

Why are the evaluation homomorphism and isomorphism important in extension fields?

These concepts are important for understanding the structure and properties of extension fields, which are fields obtained by adjoining new elements to a base field. The evaluation homomorphism and isomorphism allow us to study the behavior of these fields and their elements in a systematic and rigorous way.

What are some applications of the evaluation homomorphism and isomorphism in extension fields?

These concepts have applications in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and coding theory. They are also used in computer science, specifically in the design and analysis of algorithms related to fields and their extensions.

Are there any limitations to the understanding of the evaluation homomorphism and isomorphism in extension fields?

Like any mathematical concept, there are limitations to our understanding of the evaluation homomorphism and isomorphism in extension fields. These concepts can be complex and require a solid foundation in abstract algebra to fully grasp. Additionally, there may be open problems and new developments in this field that are yet to be explored.