1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple f(x) equation

1. Feb 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given f(x) = x^2. Graph f(2x)

2. Relevant equations

I just need to draw the graph

3. The attempt at a solution

What I tried was putting the x value in the equation which would give me the y value by means of the x^2 part, and the x value would double to give me my new point. This wasn't what the answer key had. Any tips?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2007 #2
    When you are asked to find f(2x), you need to substitute 2x as a whole for the original x. Will the value of f(x) really double?
  4. Feb 27, 2007 #3
    it becomes f(2x) = (2x)^2
  5. Feb 27, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are two ways to do this. The simplest is to do what theperthvan (and, indirectly, Tedjn) suggests: replace x by 2x. What is (2x)2?

The other is to argue that any change before the "main" function, x2, is applied is a change in x and so changes the graph only horizontally. The value x= 1, after multiplying by 2, becomes the same as x= 2. But 1 is only 1/2 as far from the origin as 2: the whole graph of y= x2 is "squeezed" by 1/2 horizontally but not changed vertically.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?