Solve FBD Problem: M.asinθ=N, N.sinθ=Ma

• Thread starter hav0c
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fbd
In summary: Can you please clarify what you were trying to do?You were trying to derive equations for the horizontal components of acceleration and force.
hav0c

Homework Statement

see attached image

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the relations
1)M.asinθ=N
2)N.sinθ=Ma
Which one is correct and why?
3)if (1) is incorrect is the correct relation --M.asinθ+M.gcosθ=N?

Attachments

• fbd.png
    fbd.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Forces and accelerations are vectors. Once you have Newton's second law in the vector form, you obtain equations for the components of forces and accelerations. In this case, you only care about the horizontal components. What are they?

horizontal components
of acc. are-- a and (nsinθ)/m
and force are-- ma and nsinθ
but my main question is that is my equation 3 correct?

hav0c said:
horizontal components
of acc. are-- a and (nsinθ)/m
and force are-- ma and nsinθ

It is not that "a and (nsinθ)/m" are "acceleration components". a = (nsinθ)/m is the horizontal acceleration component.

but my main question is that is my equation 3 correct?

I do not see any "g" in the picture so based solely on the picture, that equation is definitely wrong.

voko said:
I do not see any "g" in the picture so based solely on the picture, that equation is definitely wrong.
I have taken g to be the acceleration downwards due to gravity

Perhaps you need to describe your problem in full detail. What you have now makes little sense.

Likes 1 person
from here i have got the relations
1)N=M.g.cosθ+M.a.sinθ
2) a.cosθ=g.sinθ

Edit:i have forgotten to consider the normal force from underneath , I'm going to re-write the equations
Edit: nevermind these equations are totally useless

Attachments

• 2013-08-18 08.50.07.jpg
    2013-08-18 08.50.07.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
hav0c said:
Edit: nevermind these equations are totally useless
As are the diagrams. Please state the question exactly as it was given to you.

I wasnt having any actual problem in solving questions it was just that i wanted to check whether or not i could derive relations by using different x-y directions, but the new general equations turned out to be useless.

1. How do I approach solving this FBD problem?

In order to solve this FBD problem, you will need to draw a free body diagram (FBD) of the object in question. This diagram should include all the forces acting on the object, including the given forces M and N, and any other relevant forces such as gravity or friction. Once you have a clear FBD, you can apply Newton's second law (F = ma) to find the acceleration of the object.

2. What does the equation M.asinθ=N represent in this problem?

This equation represents the vertical component of the force M (M.sinθ) being equal to the normal force N. This is a result of the object being in equilibrium in the vertical direction, where the forces acting upwards (M.sinθ) must be balanced by the forces acting downwards (N).

3. Can I use this equation for any FBD problem involving forces at an angle?

No, this equation is specific to this particular FBD problem. In other problems, you may need to use different equations or approaches to find the solution. It is important to always carefully consider the forces acting on the object and choose the appropriate equations or methods for solving the problem.

4. What is the significance of the angle θ in this problem?

The angle θ represents the angle at which the force M is acting on the object. This angle is important because it affects the magnitude and direction of the force, and therefore, the equilibrium of the object. It is crucial to accurately determine the angle in order to solve the problem correctly.

5. How do I know if my solution to this problem is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your solution, you can check if it satisfies the given equations M.asinθ=N and N.sinθ=Ma. If your solution does not satisfy these equations, then there may be an error in your calculations. You can also check the units of your solution to make sure they are consistent with the given units in the problem.