1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple field proof

1. Apr 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose the field axioms include 0-1. Prove that, in this case, every element is equal to 0. Thus the existence of 0-1 would contradict the field axiom that 1≠0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My question regarding the proof is, why bother to show that every element in the field is 0 in order to show that 1≠0. In other words, isn't it easier to say:

Previously proven lemma: For all x in F, 0*x = 0.

Suppose there exists 0-1 in F such that 0*0-1=1. Then by the lemma above, the left side of the previous equation simply reduces to 0, and hence we are left with 1 = 0, a contradiction.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, your way is simpler. Not sure why they want you to do this. Maybe because 1≠0 isn't always included in the field axioms. If you're working with a definition that doesn't include that, it looks like you can only conclude that the field is trivial (i.e. that it has only one element).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted