1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple: Finding the wavelenght

1. Jul 24, 2005 #1
    I have a picture of a wave I am looking at. Each increment on the equilibrium line is 420 cm. I am asked to find the wavelength. there are 7 increments between one location of the first wave and the second wave. I multiply 7 times 4.2 meters and the answer is still wrong. Why?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2005 #2
    What do you mean by "each increment on the equilibrium line"?. I don't really understand your description. Do you have a graph of a wave or something? The wavelength is just the distance from one peak to the next, or one trough to the next. Edit: it doesn't necessarily have to be peak to peak, for example, but it's just easier to see it if you take it as that.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  4. Jul 24, 2005 #3
    Thank you Nylex, but that was the first thing I did. I am still getting a "incorrect answer". Yes, I am looking at a picture of a wave. I though I was dong something wrong so I multiplied the number of increments times the given lenght. Am I wrong or am I missing a step?
  5. Jul 24, 2005 #4
    What do you mean by "increments"? :confused:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?