Calculating Net Force on Mass: 800N, 347N, 0.074m/s/s

In summary: No,I'm the one asking the question.The gravity in this scenario is 9.8 ms^{-2}.The gravity you experience on Earth is 9.8 ms^{-2}.The weight you are given is the weight that would cause the gravity on Earth to be 9.8 ms^{-2}.
mohlam12
just curious...if someone was pulling me with a rope around my nech, he was exerting a force of 347N, and I weight 800N, what is the net force that is goign to be applied to my mass?? gravity is 0.074 m/s/s
because i think to get the net force i need the acceleration (Fn = ma) and here I have no acceleration...im just confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is not clear. Is the rope pulling straight up or at an angle?

Assuming that the rope is pulling straight up, and that by "here I have no acceleration" you mean you don't know the acceleration, then there is a force of 347N upward and a force of 800N downward, then the net force is simply 347-800= -453N (downward). You can then calculate the acceleration from Fn= ma.

What do you mean gravity is 0.074ms^{-2}...?Aren't you on Earth...?TO be strict,that #,namely ~9.8ms^{-2} should be called "acceleration due to gravity",or intensity of the Earth's gravitational field at the surface of the Earth...Terminology is not an issue in this case,but the origin of the figure you posted...:wink:

Daniel.

ok, here is the problem...im on earth, the gravity is 9.8 m/s/s
i got the highest score in physics class, my classmates got mad and put ropes around my neck and pulled me to the direction with different forces :
710.50 N 54deg CB
784.98 N 108deg CB
730.10 N 208deg CB
802.62 N 308eg CB

i weight 799.78 N

i calculated the 4 forces, and I got that the sum is 347.01N at 85.91deg CB

now the question is: what net dorce would they apply to your mass and in what direction?
i got the direction 85.94deg CB
now, what is the net force?

(sorry i put the gravity 0.074 for the first post )

I don't know what does that CB stands for,it's better if you did...The net force should be the resulting force,which is the vector sum of the 4 forces.If you said that the sum is 347.01N,then that is its modulus,the direction you found to be 85.91°,so you got the whole answer.I don't know if it's the correct one,or not,you have to do the calculations,not us.And just because it's simple trigonometry & arithmetics,you have no excuse for wrong result...

Daniel.

CB, compass bearing
yeah, but I didnt use my weight in anything, why my weight was given then?

Your exact phrasing of the question was:"what net dorce would they apply to your mass and in what direction?".Is gravity one of your classmates...?Or perhaps,the question was different...?:wink:

Daniel.

1. How do you calculate net force on a mass?

To calculate net force on a mass, you need to add all the individual forces acting on the mass. This can be done by using the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is the unit of measurement for net force?

The unit of measurement for net force is Newtons (N). This unit is derived from the formula F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

3. How do you find the net force if only the mass and acceleration are given?

If you are given the mass and acceleration of an object, you can use the formula Fnet = ma to find the net force. Simply plug in the values for mass (m) and acceleration (a) and calculate the result.

4. What does a net force of 0 mean?

A net force of 0 means that all the forces acting on an object are balanced and there is no acceleration. This could occur if there are equal and opposite forces acting on the object, or if there are no forces acting on the object at all.

5. How does the net force affect the motion of an object?

The net force on an object determines its acceleration and therefore affects its motion. If the net force is greater than 0, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the net force is 0, the object will either remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity. If the net force is less than 0, the object will decelerate in the opposite direction of the net force.