1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple fluid mechanics

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Concider a 4 m long, 4 m wide and 1.5 m high aboveground swimming pool that is filled with water to the rim (completely). Determinate hydrostatic forces on each wall and distance of the line of actions of this force from the ground

2. Relevant equations
    Hc = yc sin (theta)
    Yf = 1xxc/yc*A
    FR = ϱghc * A

3. The attempt at a solution

Sorry if I sound a bit "noob", this is all new to me but what I do not understand here is how to determinate Yc, areal center or centroid in english. Our teacher states that we should look at the centroid formulas for a givven shape but I dont find those online.

The answer is 44.1 kN and if someone could toutor me trough this easy example I might solve some more difficult ones on my own by understanding it properly... The books exapmle only shows a process from hc to Yc sin thetta and not how YC is determinated...

If hc = yc then yc is 1.5 then
    FR = ϱghc * A gives 1000 * 9.81 * 1.5 * 16 which is 235,440 kN and not right :(
    Assuming Po doesnt play a role here...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2
    anyone familiar with this ?
  4. Feb 11, 2010 #3
    :( thanks for help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook