Equilibrium Homework: Solving Simple Force Problem with Multiple Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving determining the weight of block C and the angle for equilibrium in a system with block D weighing 300 lbs and block B weighing 275 lbs. The conversation includes various equations and calculations, with one answer being listed as \theta = 40.9 and Fc = 240lbs. There is some confusion about the calculations and the possibility of two different weights for the angle.
ToeNugget

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I've been stuck on this relatively very simple problem for quite a while now and even after solving I'm still getting two answers while the book only lists one.

Question: If block D weighs 300 lb and block B weighs 275 lb, determine the required weight of block C and the angle (theta) for equilibrium.

So I did the usual since it's in equilibrium then Fx = 0 and Fy = 0.

So, Fc(cos30) - 275(cos[itex]\theta[/itex]) = 0
and Fy(sin30) + 275(sin[itex]\theta[/itex]) - 300 = 0

Then after finding cos[itex]\theta[/itex] in terms of Fc and substituting, you get this equation: 158.7cos[itex]\theta[/itex] + 275sin[itex]\theta[/itex] = 300

The answer listed is: [itex]\theta[/itex] = 40.9 and Fc = 240lb

Can anyone please tell me how to solve the equation above? I tried using the trig identity (square of cos plus square of sin = 1) but I got two answers, one was similar to the book ([itex]\theta[/itex] = 40.9, and one was [itex]\theta[/itex] 79). Thing is, when I use the second value I got (79) in the equations above, it works for all.

I'd appreciate some clarification on this problem! Thanks.

d9053b6a-35de-4064-a670-de15385a16a6.jpe

Physics news on Phys.org
Both angles are correct.

ehild

first realize that (275lbs)/tantheta= C/tan30 since the weights are all in the y direction right?

where C= 275lbs(tan30)/tantheta and theta=inverse tan ((275lbs)(tan30)/C)

and so, you must find c first.

c would be found using forces in the y direction such that sum of all forces is zero since equalibrium occurs.

so, 300lbs + 275lbs + D=0N

D=575N

what do you say to this?

sorry C=575N

Rayquesto, I'm sorry I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do or how you're doing and why we need to find C first? Also, wouldn't the force in the y direction need to take into account the angle the string is making with the horizontal?

ehild, so then there are also two possible weights as well, correct?

ToeNugget said:
ehild, so then there are also two possible weights as well, correct?

Yes, of course. There is less weight for the greater angle.

ehild

Yes the two answers for the angle are correct and the less weight mentioned by ehild is 59.9lb.

yes, but ok, well I am confused too then, because wouldn't the weights already be acting in the y direction? I mean, to me, your calculuation would be correct if the forces were affected such that it can be treated as a hypotenuse of the force, but It looks like the weights can only be thought of as a Y leg.

I cannot follow what Rayquesto is saying. Can he be more specific?
The weights are acting in the Y-direction (i.e. vertically).But here we are examining the equilibrium at point A and the equations in the first post are correct.

1. What is simple force in equilibrium?

Simple force in equilibrium is a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and thus no change in motion.

2. How do you determine if an object is in simple force equilibrium?

An object is in simple force equilibrium when the vector sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero. This can be determined by using the laws of motion and vector addition to calculate the net force.

3. What are some examples of objects in simple force equilibrium?

Some examples of objects in simple force equilibrium include a book sitting on a table, a person standing still on the ground, and a ball resting on a flat surface.

4. What happens when an object is not in simple force equilibrium?

When an object is not in simple force equilibrium, there is a net force acting on the object, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the net force. This can result in a change in motion or a state of unbalanced forces.

5. How is simple force equilibrium important in everyday life?

Simple force equilibrium is important in everyday life because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as it allows us to create stable structures and machines that can withstand external forces.