1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Force Problem help

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    An arrow, starting from rest, leaves the bow with a speed of 25.0m/s. If the average force exerted on the arrow by the bow were doubled, all else remaining the same, with what speed would the arrow leave the bow?

Any point in the right direction would help :) but I have been trying to solve this problem for the past half hour.

If anyone can work me through the problem that would be extra great.. i wish i can return the favor. TY

2. Relevant equations

Laws of Kinematics and Neutons Laws of Force(1 and 2)

3. The attempt at a solution

Im stuck
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2
    when the force is doubled, so is the acceleration (since F=m*a) ..
    it is said that all else remaining the same (x is the same for both cases) ..

and you have for your first case:
    vo = 0 m/s , vf = 25 m/s , a = a m/s^2 , x = x m

for the second case:
    vo = 0 m/s , vf = ? m/s , a = 2a m/s^2 , x = x m

hint: there is one of the kinematic equations you can use to find your answer .. :)

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Try think about how the force and distance involved in accelerating the arrow is related to the work imposed on the arrow, and then how this work is related to kinetic energy and speed of the arrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook