1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Force Problem

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 80 KG man is standing on the platform of mass 20 KG is lowering him self down using a massless cable passing over two pullies. If his downward acceleration is .2 M/S^2, find force exerted by the man on the cable.

2. Relevant equations
    I thought it was a simple

3. The attempt at a solution
    F= (100 Kg) * (.2 m/s^2)
    F= 20 N
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2007 #2
    That is correct, provided gravity is ignored.

If you do not intend to ignore gravity, remember that gravity exerts a force of 9.8 N (g) at the surface of the Earth.
  4. Feb 26, 2007 #3
    I am and idot, thanks for the gravity tip also ther is a diagram I did not provide taht is very important, just out of curiosity do you put pictures on here using HTML type.

Calculation is
    -980 + 3t=100kg*.2
    t=320 N
    The reason it is 3t is because the diagram shows the rope connecting the celling and the platform/man 3 times with the two pullys)
  5. Feb 26, 2007 #4
    I believe HTML is disabled, although you could upload the image and use IMG tags, I believe.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?