1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple forces question

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1

forgot some details to the question but thats ok because i have a general one: a puck is hit with an initial velocity of 5 m/s and comes to a stop some time later. the question is find the friction coefficient of the ice and puck.

anyways, when making a forces diagram, i know the friction points back but does anything point forward? is there a force pushing it (after its been hit) and if so, how do you find it?

what i did to solve it was say the net force equals Fpuck - Ffriction = ma

they gave the mass and i solved for acceleration using regular kinematics but i had to assume Fpuck was 0. is that true? the answer came out correct but i dont know why the Fpuck=0.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

and boy am i glad i didnt forget the p...
  4. Oct 11, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So far so good.

If it isn't being pulled, pushed, attracted by a magnet, etc then there is no force other than friction acting in the direction of motion.

It is correct, for the reason given above.
  5. Oct 11, 2005 #4

excellent. thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?