Finding Friction Coefficient on Ice | Puck Velocity and Forces Question

• Thread starter dnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the question is asking for the friction coefficient of ice and a puck that is initially hit with 5 m/s velocity and eventually comes to a stop. When creating a forces diagram, the only force acting in the direction of motion is friction. The mass is given and acceleration can be solved for using regular kinematics, assuming that Fpuck is 0. This assumption is correct as there are no other forces acting on the puck.
dnt
forgot some details to the question but that's ok because i have a general one: a puck is hit with an initial velocity of 5 m/s and comes to a stop some time later. the question is find the friction coefficient of the ice and puck.

anyways, when making a forces diagram, i know the friction points back but does anything point forward? is there a force pushing it (after its been hit) and if so, how do you find it?

what i did to solve it was say the net force equals Fpuck - Ffriction = ma

they gave the mass and i solved for acceleration using regular kinematics but i had to assume Fpuck was 0. is that true? the answer came out correct but i don't know why the Fpuck=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
and boy am i glad i didnt forget the p...

dnt said:
forgot some details to the question but that's ok because i have a general one: a puck is hit with an initial velocity of 5 m/s and comes to a stop some time later. the question is find the friction coefficient of the ice and puck.

So far so good.

anyways, when making a forces diagram, i know the friction points back but does anything point forward? is there a force pushing it (after its been hit) and if so, how do you find it?

If it isn't being pulled, pushed, attracted by a magnet, etc then there is no force other than friction acting in the direction of motion.

they gave the mass and i solved for acceleration using regular kinematics but i had to assume Fpuck was 0. is that true? the answer came out correct but i don't know why the Fpuck=0.

It is correct, for the reason given above.

excellent. thanks.

What is a simple force?

A simple force is a basic type of force that acts on an object without any other forces involved. It is represented by a single arrow in a specific direction, and its magnitude and direction can be easily determined.

What are some examples of simple forces?

Some examples of simple forces include pushing, pulling, gravity, friction, and tension. These forces are present in everyday situations, such as when you push a door open or when an apple falls from a tree due to gravity.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a simple force?

The magnitude of a simple force can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula is known as Newton's second law of motion.

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces occur when two or more forces acting on an object are of equal magnitude and opposite direction, resulting in no change in its motion. On the other hand, unbalanced forces occur when the forces acting on an object are not equal, causing a change in its motion.

How do simple forces affect an object's motion?

Simple forces can either cause an object to start moving, speed up, slow down, or change direction. This is based on Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.