Free-fall Problem: Ball 2 Thrown Upward with Gravity - Homework Solution

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Free-fall
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a physics problem involving a bouncing ball. The question is whether the points drawn for ball 2, when thrown upwards against gravity, would be the same as ball 1 but flipped over. The participants also share links to visual aids and discuss the trajectory and acceleration of the ball. The final question is which ball has traveled further and why, with the consensus being that ball 2 has a greater initial acceleration.
nukeman

Homework Statement

I am just trying to get confirmation I am correct. Refer to the picture below, which shows the question and diagram.

I am working on 2, a)

dnluo0.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am to draw for ball 2 as if I was throwing the ball upwards against gravity.

Now, would my line and points be the same as Ball 1, just flipped over? Any help on this question(2,a) would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor, the question is not asking to draw the points as if the ball bounced, but insted launched from t = 0

From what I understand, it would look the same, in terms of the points correct?

Thanks anyone for the help!

Can anyone else take a crack at it? Much appreciated, thanks!

Again... I am having troubles with 2, a) and b)

Draw the same set of points on the right and start at the bottom and number them 1,2,3,4,5. Once you do this you should be able to do the rest. They don't meet half way up, with a little thought you should come up with the answer.

Hey,

So would they meet between the 2nd and 3rd point?Can you help me out with this "Which ball has traveled further and why?"

My guess would be ball 2 because its initial acceleration is greater ?

Anyone else? Much appreciated!

nukeman said:
Hey,

So would they meet between the 2nd and 3rd point?

Can you help me out with this "Which ball has traveled further and why?"

My guess would be ball 2 because its initial acceleration is greater ?

What is a simple free-fall problem?

A simple free-fall problem is a physics problem that involves an object falling freely under the influence of gravity. This means that the only force acting on the object is gravity, and there is no air resistance or other external forces involved.

What is the formula for calculating the distance of an object in free-fall?

The formula for calculating the distance of an object in free-fall is d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time the object has been falling.

How does the mass of an object affect its free-fall?

The mass of an object does not affect its free-fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity.

What is terminal velocity in a simple free-fall problem?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach while falling due to the balance between the force of gravity and the force of air resistance. Once an object reaches terminal velocity, it will continue to fall at a constant speed.

How does air resistance affect objects in free-fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As an object falls, the force of air resistance increases until it is equal to the force of gravity. This results in the object reaching terminal velocity and falling at a constant speed.