Bobsled Friction Problem: Finding Velocity with Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

• Thread starter RaiderXero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the question is asking for the final velocity of a bobsled that enters a straightaway at 19.2 m/s and travels 200m, given a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.15. The equation vf^2 - vi^2 = 2a(x) can be used, but the force of kinetic friction needs to be converted into acceleration using Newton's 2nd law.
RaiderXero

Homework Statement

A bobsled (600kg) enters a straightaway at 19.2 m/s and travels 200m. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is .15, what is the velocity at the end of the straightaway?

Homework Equations

My friend asked me for help on this problem, but its been a while since I've taken physics. Can anyone point me to an equation that might help get us started?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the force of kinetic friction will be 5880*.15= 882 and that vf^2 - vi^2 = 2a(x) is probably the equation to use, I am just lost on how to turn that kinetic friction into acceleration so I can use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's 2nd law.

To solve this problem, we need to use the equation F=μmg, where F is the force of kinetic friction, μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, m is the mass of the bobsled, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). We can rearrange this equation to solve for the acceleration (a=F/m).

Next, we can use the equation vf^2 - vi^2 = 2a(x), where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity (19.2 m/s), a is the acceleration we just calculated, and x is the distance traveled (200m). Rearranging this equation, we get vf = √(vi^2 + 2ax).

Plugging in the values, we get vf = √(19.2^2 + 2*(882/600)*200) = √(368.64 + 588) = √956.64 = 30.93 m/s. Therefore, the velocity at the end of the straightaway is approximately 30.93 m/s.

It's important to note that this is just an approximation, as there may be other factors such as air resistance that can affect the final velocity. Also, it's always a good idea to double check your units to ensure they are consistent throughout the calculation. I hope this helps you and your friend with your homework problem.

1. What is simple friction and how does it work?

Simple friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact. It occurs when there is resistance between the surfaces due to irregularities on their surfaces. The force of friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the object, making it difficult for the object to move.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and their roughness.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by several factors, including the nature and roughness of the surfaces, the normal force between them, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. Friction increases with rougher surfaces, higher normal force, and the absence of lubricants.

4. How does friction affect the motion of objects?

Friction can either help or hinder the motion of objects. When the force of friction is greater than the applied force, it slows down or stops the object's motion. However, friction can also be beneficial in some cases, such as when it allows us to grip objects or walk without slipping.

5. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which act as a barrier between the two surfaces and reduce the force of friction. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction, as well as decreasing the normal force between the surfaces. In some cases, using ball bearings or rollers can also reduce friction by allowing the surfaces to slide over each other more easily.