Understanding Friction: The Impact of Contact on Object Movement

• Thread starter lekh2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction and how it is affected by the normal force, compression, and surface properties. The speakers also explore the idea of stickiness and its role in opposing sliding. It is concluded that the amount of friction is not directly proportional to the amount of compression, but rather depends on various parameters such as material properties.
lekh2003
Gold Member
I've just been thinking, and I don't know why I couldn't figure this out on my own, but I got this question bugging me.

I was moving a sofa the other day. The sofa was against a wall. I started thinking why it was harder to push the sofa parallel to the wall when it was touching the wall rather then when it was not touching the wall. I hope you see what I mean.

My initial thought was that there was friction against the wall, but then I thought mathematically. What would the friction be? I am not exerting any force on the sofa pushing it towards the wall, so why is there friction?

Why is it harder to push an object when it is simply in contact with the wall, even though there is no force to act on the object to generate friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
lekh2003 said:
My initial thought was that there was friction against the wall, but then I thought mathematically. What would the friction be?
Friction depends on the normal force. When you push the sofa against the wall, it deforms which requires a normal force.

A.T. said:
Friction depends on the normal force. When you push the sofa against the wall, it deforms which requires a normal force.
But there isn't a real time force. It's just like that, still. And then I apply a force completely perpendicular to the normal force for friction.

And what if it was a flat hard box with no deformation allowed? It would still be easier to push if it wasn't against the wall.

The sofa can have some force simply from having contact with the wall (and being compressed due to that), and you pushing the sofa might contribute as well.
The effect should be small unless you push it in a very odd direction.

Likes lekh2003
lekh2003 said:
But there isn't a real time force.
No idea what a "real time force" is. As long as parts of the sofa are compressed by the wall, there is a normal contact force between them.

lekh2003 said:
And what if it was a flat hard box with no deformation allowed?
There is no such thing in real life. But aside from the friction that depends on the normal force, you can have stickiness that opposes sliding with zero or even negative normal force.

A.T. said:
No idea what a "real time force" is. As long as parts of the sofa are compressed by the wall, there is a normal contact force between them.There is no such thing in real life. But aside from the friction that depends on the normal force, you can have stickiness that opposes sliding with zero or even negative normal force.
Ok so could i say that the amount of friction is proportional to the amount the object compresses. So a sofa might be harder to push than a box.

lekh2003 said:
Ok so could i say that the amount of friction is proportional to the amount the object compresses.
No, the normal force is usually non-linear.

lekh2003 said:
So a sofa might be harder to push than a box.
Depends on many parameters which might be different between the two.

Likes lekh2003
A.T. said:
No, the normal force is usually non-linear.Depends on many parameters which might be different between the two.
Ok not directly proportional, but as the compression is higher, the friction must also increase.

I think I got it. Thanks.

lekh2003 said:
Ok not directly proportional, but as the compression is higher, the friction must also increase.
Yes, but the normal force also depends on the material properties. And the friction then depends on the normal force and the surface properties.

A.T. said:
Yes, but the normal force also depends on the material properties. And the friction then depends on the normal force and the surface properties.
Yes, I understand that. Thanks.

1. What is a simple friction problem?

A simple friction problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It typically involves finding the force of friction, which is the resistance that occurs when two objects slide against each other.

2. How is friction calculated?

Friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction is a constant that depends on the materials and surfaces in contact.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by several factors, including the type of material, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the objects, and the force applied. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the temperature and the presence of lubricants.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it can slow down or stop the movement of objects. It also converts kinetic energy into thermal energy, causing objects to heat up. In some cases, friction can be beneficial, such as in the case of car brakes where it helps to slow down the vehicle.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a barrier between two surfaces. Additionally, smoother surfaces and reducing the weight or force applied can also decrease friction. In some cases, adding wheels or rollers can also reduce friction by allowing objects to slide more easily.