1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple friction

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    hey everybody, i have an easy problem in friction, i just want to make sure if what i did is right; here is the problem:
    A 22kg mass is slid up an incline of 71degree to the horizontal at constant velocity. If mu=.29, what is the applied force?

here is what i did:

Fgravity = 22*9.8*cos(71) = 70.19
    Fparallel = 22.9.8*sin(71) = 203.85
    Ffriction = 70.19/.26 = 269.96
    Fapplied = 269.96+203.85 = 473.81 N

do u think that is right (not the calculations, but the formulas i used) ? :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry. No.

What is it that you are calling "Fgravity"?

The force of gravity is "weight" which is "mg." The parallel component of weight that you have is correct, but the frictional force is wrong.

Friction is "mu" times the normal force. Here, the normal force balances the perpendicular compnent of the weight, so friction is
    f = (0.29)(22kg)(9.8N/kg)cos71 = 20.3 N

since the velocity is constant, then the pushing force "up" the incline is balanced by the two forces "down" the incline. It appears that this part of the concept you have correct.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To second Chi Meson, the frictional force is mu times the normal force, not normal force divided by mu!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?