Calculating the Slope of a Function at x = -2/3 | Independent Study Problem

• Thread starter morrowcosom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
So f'(-2/3) = 9/8.Now, this isn't the end of the story. Your answer, f'(-2/3) = 9/8, is the slope of the tangent line at x = -2/3. That's not the same as the slope of the curve at x = -2/3. To get that, you need to go back to the beginning and see if you can simplify the following:f(x) = \frac{-1}{2x}In summary, we are trying to find the slope of the function f(x) = -1/(2x) at x = -2/3. To do this, we first evaluated the function at
morrowcosom

Homework Statement

We are calculating the slope of the function f(x) = -1/(2x) at x = -2/3.

For the function f(x) = -1/(2x), we now know:

f(-2/3) = 3/4
Next, evaluate the function at a theoretical point x = -2/3+h near -2/3.
We'll use h to symbolize delta x, a small change in x.
f(-2/3+h) =

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

= -1/(2(-2/3+h))
= -1/(-4/3+2h)
= 3/4-(1/2h)
I am doing independent study using a computer program and it is telling me that I am incorrect. What is wrong with my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
morrowcosom said:

Homework Statement

We are calculating the slope of the function f(x) = -1/(2x) at x = -2/3.

For the function f(x) = -1/(2x), we now know:

f(-2/3) = 3/4
Next, evaluate the function at a theoretical point x = -2/3+h near -2/3.
We'll use h to symbolize delta x, a small change in x.
f(-2/3+h) =

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

= -1/(2(-2/3+h))
= -1/(-4/3+2h)
= 3/4-(1/2h)
I am doing independent study using a computer program and it is telling me that I am incorrect. What is wrong with my work?
The next-to-last line looks fine, but could be rewritten as
= -1/(-4/3+2h)
= 1/(4/3 - 2h)

How did you get 3/4 - 1/(2h)?

Now I see what you did.
[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{d}} \neq \frac{b}{a} + \frac{d}{c}[/tex]

Your weakness in fractions is preventing you from successfully completing these problems.

I am a college student that is halfway through a master's degree in business management. I have not taken a basic algebra course in over six years. I am also dirt broke because I have no job, hence I cannot afford an algebra textbook to help me on my fractions. Where would be a good website to go to to learn the types of fraction simplication used in these problems. Right now I am on hiatus from school do to medical issues, and want to get good at math.

Thanks

I've heard a lot of good things about Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org). The main page is divided up into sections. Take a look at the Pre-Algebra section - I saw a couple of links that discuss fraction multiplication and division.

There might be a lot of topics that would be of use to you. Any time you spend at refreshing your math skills will be a good investment, IMO.

Best of luck to you!
Mark

I decided to try out some of the new division stuff I saw on Khan by further simplifying a previous problem:

1/(4/3-2h)
(I went ahead and inverted and multiplied the 2nd terms)

(1/1)(3/4)= 3/4
(1/1)(-1/2h)= -1/2h

to get:
= 3/4-1/2h
How does this look?

I was messing around with latex:
[tex] (\frac{1}{1})(\frac{3}{4}) = (\frac{3}{4})[/tex]

[tex] (\frac{1}{1})(\frac{-1}{2h}) = (\frac{1}{-2h})[/tex]

[tex]= (\frac{3}{4}) - (\frac{-1}{2h})[/tex]

Last edited:
morrowcosom said:
I decided to try out some of the new division stuff I saw on Khan by further simplifying a previous problem:

1/(4/3-2h)
(I went ahead and inverted and multiplied the 2nd terms)

(1/1)(3/4)= 3/4
(1/1)(1/-2h)= -1/2h

to get:
3/4-1/2h
How does this look?
It's not right. 1/(4/3) = 3/4 and 1/(-2h) = -1/(2h), but 1/(4/3 - 2h) is not equal to 3/4 - 1/(2h).
IOW, there is no property of fractions that says that the reciprocal of a sum (or difference) is equal to the sum (difference) of the reciprocals.

For example 1/(2 + 3) = 1/5, but 1/2 + 1/3 = 3/6 + 2/6 = 5/6.

If it doesn't work for ordinary numbers, it's not going to work with algebraic expressions.
morrowcosom said:
Also I was messing around with latex, trying to create 1/1, but in the latex format, and ended up with this.
In the LaTeX below you have \1 in the numerator. It should be just 1, like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{1}[/tex]
morrowcosom said:
[tex]\frac{\1}{1}[/tex]
I typed it directly on this page. I was wondering what the error in my formatting was.

I used this link:
https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

It's not right. 1/(4/3) = 3/4 and 1/(-2h) = -1/(2h), but 1/(4/3 - 2h) is not equal to 3/4 - 1/(2h).
IOW, there is no property of fractions that says that the reciprocal of a sum (or difference) is equal to the sum (difference) of the reciprocals.

For example 1/(2 + 3) = 1/5, but 1/2 + 1/3 = 3/6 + 2/6 = 5/6.

According to the 1/(2+3)=1/5...example, I guess since there is no way to subtract 2h from 4/3, then there is no way to take the reciprocal of the combined terms, then there is no way to further simplify it. I solved a point on a curve slope problem using this form as one of my functions. If there is a way to further simplify the problem I would love to know what it is, but I have no idea on Earth how.

All this because I tried to overcomplicate something.

So to finish this off, you have f(x) = -1/(2x), and you want to find the derivative at x = -2/3. I.e., you want f'(-2/3).

[tex]f'(-2/3) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(-2/3 + h) - f(-2/3}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{h \to 0} (1/h)(\frac{1}{4/3 - 2h} - 3/4)[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{h \to 0} (1/h)(\frac{4 - 3(4/3 - 2h)}{4(4/3 - 2h)} )[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{h \to 0} (1/h)(\frac{6h}{16/3 - 8h})[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{6}{16/3 - 2h} = \frac{6}{16/3} = 6 \cdot \frac{3}{16}= 18/16 = 9/8[/tex]

1. What is a simple function problem?

A simple function problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the relationship between two or more variables. It typically involves using a set of rules or equations to solve for one or more unknown variables.

2. How do you solve a simple function problem?

To solve a simple function problem, you need to follow a series of steps. First, identify the variables and their relationships. Then, use the given equations or rules to manipulate those variables until you can solve for the unknown variable(s). Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equations to see if it satisfies all the given conditions.

3. What types of equations are used in simple function problems?

The types of equations used in simple function problems can vary, but they often include linear equations, quadratic equations, and exponential equations. These equations may involve one or more variables and may require algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable(s).

4. Can simple function problems be solved using a calculator?

Yes, simple function problems can be solved using a calculator. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the underlying concepts and steps involved in solving the problem. Calculators can be useful for checking your work and saving time, but they should not be relied upon as the sole method of solving the problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving simple function problems?

One of the best ways to improve your skills in solving simple function problems is through practice. Make sure you have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and try solving a variety of problems with different equations and variables. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources for additional guidance and practice. With practice and persistence, you can improve your skills in solving simple function problems.