Simple Functional Derivatives

In summary: I think you're missing a factor of ##(1+(g'(y))^2)^{3/2}##.In summary, the functional derivatives given are incorrect. The correct solutions are 1) ##-\frac{d}{dx}\left[g'(x)/(1+(g'(x))^2)^{3/2}\right]## evaluated at x = y, and 2) ##3Bg^2(y) - A\partial_\mu[a(y)b(y)]##.
ryanwilk

Homework Statement

Hey, can I just check these functional derivatives?:

1) [tex] \frac{\delta F[g]}{\delta g(y)}[/tex] where [tex] F[g] = \int dx \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(g'(x))^2}} - 2g(x) + 5 \right]\>. [/tex]

2) [tex] \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)}[/tex] where [tex] F[a,b,g] = \int d^4x \left[ A(\partial_{\mu} g(x))a(x)b(x) + Bg^3(x) \right]\>. [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{\delta F[g]}{\delta g(y)} = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[ F[g(x) +\epsilon\delta(x-y)] - F[g(x)] \right]\>. [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers I get are 1) -2 and 2) 3Bg2(y).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ryanwilk said:

Homework Statement

Hey, can I just check these functional derivatives?:

1) [tex] \frac{\delta F[g]}{\delta g(y)}[/tex] where [tex] F[g] = \int dx \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(g'(x))^2}} - 2g(x) + 5 \right]\>. [/tex]

2) [tex] \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)}[/tex] where [tex] F[a,b,g] = \int d^4x \left[ A(\partial_{\mu} g(x))a(x)b(x) + Bg^3(x) \right]\>. [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{\delta F[g]}{\delta g(y)} = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[ F[g(x) +\epsilon\delta(x-y)] - F[g(x)] \right]\>. [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers I get are 1) -2 and 2) 3Bg2(y).

Thanks in advance!

(Just realized this is in the completely wrong forum... =/)

How did you get your answers? I don't think they are correct. It looks like you have assumed that ##\delta g'(x)/\delta g(y) = 0##. This is not true; you need to use ##\delta g'(x)/\delta g(y) = \delta'(x-y)##, the derivative of the dirac delta function.

Oh. Yes, I did assume that. I'll have another go.

Last edited:
So, for (2),

[tex] F[a,b,g] = \int d^4x \left[ A(\partial_{\mu} g(x))a(x)b(x) + Bg^3(x) \right]\>. [/tex]

[tex] \implies \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)} = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[ \int d^4x\>[A(\partial_{\mu}(g(x)+\epsilon \delta(x-y)))a(x)b(x) - A(\partial_{\mu}g(x))a(x)b(x) + B{(g(x)+\epsilon \delta(x-y))}^3-Bg^3(x)] \right][/tex]

[tex] = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[\int d^4x\>A\epsilon\>\partial_{\mu}(\delta(x-y))\>a(x)b(x) + B(3g^2(x)\epsilon\delta(x-y)+3g(x)\epsilon^2\delta^2(x-y)+\epsilon^3\delta^3(x-y)) \right] [/tex]

[tex] = \left[\int d^4x\>A\>\partial_{\mu}(\delta(x-y))\>a(x)b(x) + B(3g^2(x)\delta(x-y)) \right]\>. [/tex]

Then apparently [tex] \int \delta'(x-y)f(x) = - \int \delta(x-y)f'(x) [/tex] so,

[tex] \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)} = 3Bg^2(y) - A\partial_{\mu}[a(y)b(y)]\>. [/tex]

And similarly, (1) gives -2g''(y)-2?

Last edited:
Does this seem correct? =/

ryanwilk said:
So, for (2),

[tex] F[a,b,g] = \int d^4x \left[ A(\partial_{\mu} g(x))a(x)b(x) + Bg^3(x) \right]\>. [/tex]

[tex] \implies \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)} = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[ \int d^4x\>[A(\partial_{\mu}(g(x)+\epsilon \delta(x-y)))a(x)b(x) - A(\partial_{\mu}g(x))a(x)b(x) + B{(g(x)+\epsilon \delta(x-y))}^3-Bg^3(x)] \right][/tex]

[tex] = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[\int d^4x\>A\epsilon\>\partial_{\mu}(\delta(x-y))\>a(x)b(x) + B(3g^2(x)\epsilon\delta(x-y)+3g(x)\epsilon^2\delta^2(x-y)+\epsilon^3\delta^3(x-y)) \right] [/tex]

[tex] = \left[\int d^4x\>A\>\partial_{\mu}(\delta(x-y))\>a(x)b(x) + B(3g^2(x)\delta(x-y)) \right]\>. [/tex]

Then apparently [tex] \int \delta'(x-y)f(x) = - \int \delta(x-y)f'(x) [/tex] so,

[tex] \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)} = 3Bg^2(y) - A\partial_{\mu}[a(y)b(y)]\>. [/tex]

And similarly, (1) gives -2g''(y)-2?

Sorry for late reply. I've been travelling. Your (2) looks superficially good - the problem I see is that you have a ##\partial_\mu##, but there is no indication that the index is being summed over, so either you have a dangling index or you're missing another term with a ##\mu## index (which could change the result - e.g., if the derivative were really ##\partial^\mu\partial_\mu##, then this is a second derivative, so when you apply the dirac derivative rule twice the minus signs cancel out).

Your (1) still looks incorrect - the first term should be ##-\frac{d}{dx}\left[g'(x)/(1+(g'(x))^2)^{3/2}\right]##, evaluated at x = y, which I don't think reduces to ##-2g''(y)##.

What are simple functional derivatives?

Simple functional derivatives are mathematical tools used in functional analysis and calculus to determine the rate of change of a functional with respect to a given function. They are used to find the optimal function that maximizes or minimizes a specific functional.

How are simple functional derivatives calculated?

To calculate a simple functional derivative, we use the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is derived from the fundamental theorem of calculus. This equation involves taking the derivative of the functional with respect to the function and setting it equal to zero to solve for the optimal function.

What are some common applications of simple functional derivatives?

Simple functional derivatives have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used in variational calculus to find the path that minimizes the action in classical mechanics. They are also used in optimal control theory to find the control inputs that minimize the cost function.

What are the limitations of simple functional derivatives?

Simple functional derivatives can only be used for functions with a single variable. They also assume that the function and its derivatives are continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world problems. Additionally, they may not always provide a unique solution, and further analysis may be needed.

How are simple functional derivatives related to other types of derivatives?

Simple functional derivatives are a type of functional derivative, which is a generalization of the traditional derivative. They are also related to partial derivatives, which involve taking the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.