1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Functional Derivatives

1. Dec 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey, can I just check these functional derivatives?:

1) [tex] \frac{\delta F[g]}{\delta g(y)}[/tex] where [tex] F[g] = \int dx \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(g'(x))^2}} - 2g(x) + 5 \right]\>. [/tex]

2) [tex] \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)}[/tex] where [tex] F[a,b,g] = \int d^4x \left[ A(\partial_{\mu} g(x))a(x)b(x) + Bg^3(x) \right]\>. [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \frac{\delta F[g]}{\delta g(y)} = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[ F[g(x) +\epsilon\delta(x-y)] - F[g(x)] \right]\>. [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The answers I get are 1) -2 and 2) 3Bg2(y).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

How did you get your answers? I don't think they are correct. It looks like you have assumed that ##\delta g'(x)/\delta g(y) = 0##. This is not true; you need to use ##\delta g'(x)/\delta g(y) = \delta'(x-y)##, the derivative of the dirac delta function.

4. Dec 18, 2012 #3
    Oh. Yes, I did assume that. I'll have another go.

5. Dec 18, 2012 #4
    So, for (2),

[tex] F[a,b,g] = \int d^4x \left[ A(\partial_{\mu} g(x))a(x)b(x) + Bg^3(x) \right]\>. [/tex]

[tex] \implies \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)} = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[ \int d^4x\>[A(\partial_{\mu}(g(x)+\epsilon \delta(x-y)))a(x)b(x) - A(\partial_{\mu}g(x))a(x)b(x) + B{(g(x)+\epsilon \delta(x-y))}^3-Bg^3(x)] \right][/tex]

[tex] = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{\epsilon} \left[\int d^4x\>A\epsilon\>\partial_{\mu}(\delta(x-y))\>a(x)b(x) + B(3g^2(x)\epsilon\delta(x-y)+3g(x)\epsilon^2\delta^2(x-y)+\epsilon^3\delta^3(x-y)) \right] [/tex]

[tex] = \left[\int d^4x\>A\>\partial_{\mu}(\delta(x-y))\>a(x)b(x) + B(3g^2(x)\delta(x-y)) \right]\>. [/tex]

Then apparently [tex] \int \delta'(x-y)f(x) = - \int \delta(x-y)f'(x) [/tex] so,

[tex] \frac{\delta F[a,b,g]}{\delta g(y)} = 3Bg^2(y) - A\partial_{\mu}[a(y)b(y)]\>. [/tex]

And similarly, (1) gives -2g''(y)-2?

6. Dec 20, 2012 #5
    Does this seem correct? =/

7. Dec 23, 2012 #6

Mute

Homework Helper

Sorry for late reply. I've been travelling. Your (2) looks superficially good - the problem I see is that you have a ##\partial_\mu##, but there is no indication that the index is being summed over, so either you have a dangling index or you're missing another term with a ##\mu## index (which could change the result - e.g., if the derivative were really ##\partial^\mu\partial_\mu##, then this is a second derivative, so when you apply the dirac derivative rule twice the minus signs cancel out).

Your (1) still looks incorrect - the first term should be ##-\frac{d}{dx}\left[g'(x)/(1+(g'(x))^2)^{3/2}\right]##, evaluated at x = y, which I don't think reduces to ##-2g''(y)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook