Sending Gnuplot Output Data to a Different Directory

• Thread starter _Andreas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gnuplot
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of effective communication in the workplace. The participants discussed the importance of clear and concise communication, active listening, and using appropriate channels for different types of communication. They also touched on the impact of technology and nonverbal cues on effective communication. Overall, they agreed that effective communication is crucial for a successful and productive work environment.
_Andreas
I have a simple question about Gnuplot: How do I send my output data to a different directory than my working (current) directory? I'd rather not have my input and output data in the same directory.

Physics news on Phys.org
".." means "go up a directory"

For example, if you are working in the directory "something/data/input", "../output" will refer to the directory "something/data/output".

Or you can just specify the full directory path to begin with.

Ha! I know this thread is old, but I didn't see your response until now. Thanks, Dunhausen!

1. What is the purpose of sending Gnuplot output data to a different directory?

The purpose of sending Gnuplot output data to a different directory is to organize and manage data files in a specific location, separate from the Gnuplot script or code. This allows for easier access and manipulation of the data for further analysis or sharing with others.

2. How can I specify the output directory for Gnuplot data?

To specify the output directory for Gnuplot data, you can use the set terminal command followed by the desired directory path. For example: set terminal png enhanced font 'Arial,10' size 800,600; set output '/path/to/output/file.png' This will save the output data in the specified directory.

3. Can I change the output directory during a Gnuplot session?

Yes, you can change the output directory during a Gnuplot session by using the set output command followed by the new directory path. This will override the previous output directory and save the data in the new location.

4. How do I check the current output directory in Gnuplot?

To check the current output directory in Gnuplot, you can use the show output command. This will display the current output directory in the terminal or command line interface.

5. Can I specify a relative path for the output directory in Gnuplot?

Yes, you can specify a relative path for the output directory in Gnuplot. This means that the path will be relative to the location of the Gnuplot script or code. For example, set output 'data/output/file.png' will save the output data in the "output" folder within the "data" folder, relative to the location of the script.