1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple graph presentation

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

[SOLVED] Simple graph presentation

Forgive my not using the thread template but it doesn't really fit my problem.

I got some ecology coursework back where I had to use a few graphs to present my data. In some of the graphs I had to present scatter plots with results from a pollution index (a score based on presence/absence of various species with different pollution tolerances) at several sites against total number of species observed there. I was marked down for plotting points rather than a line. If this was say pollution index vs distance down stream fair enough, but I'm sure a line graph would be unsuitable for my data.

Was my marker having a bad day, or am I being really stupid?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The applicable questions seem to be: 1. were you expected to interpolate between data points? or 2. were you expected to calculate the average index value as a continuous function of the number of species (e.g, by fitting a least squares line)?

4. Oct 16, 2007 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

That's probably it. It just wasn't clear from her comments. Thanks.

This is [solved] but I'm not getting the option under thread tools.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?