1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Group Problem

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    I am working on myself on a problem looks like this:

Let ##G'## be a group and let ##\phi## be a homomorphism from ##G## to ##G'.## Assume that ##G## is simple, that ##|G| \neq 2##, and that ##G'## has a normal subgroup ##N## of index 2. Show that ##\phi (G) \subseteq N##.

I have been asking around and here is what I got so far:
    (1) Since ##G'## is simple group, ##G'## does not have any non-trivial normal subgroup.
    (2) Since ##ker(\phi)## is a normal subgroup of ##G##, therefore it is either ##ker (\phi) = G## or ##ker (\phi) = \{1\}.##
    (3) In the first case, ##ker (\phi) = G## means ##\phi (G) = 1 ##, and therefore ##\phi (G) \subseteq N## and we are done.
    (4) In the second case, ##ker (\phi) = \{1\}## means that ##\phi## is injective and therefore ##\phi (G) \cong G.## This reduces the problem into proving that ##(G) \subseteq N##.
    (5) ...

And after that I am totally stuck, would appreciate any friendly and line-by-line befitting a person still in learning stage. Thank you for your time and help. Happy holidays.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try thinking about what can you do with N and ##\phi(G)##

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also think about ##G'/N##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted