1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion (4 questions)

1. Nov 12, 2004 #1

jin

1. A 4.0kg block is suspended from a spring with force constant of 500N/m. A 50g bullet
    is fired into the block from directly below with a speed of 150m/s and is imbedded in
    the bloack. (a) Find the amplitude of the resulting simple harmonic motion. (b) What
    fraction of the original kinetic energy of the bullet appears as mechanical energy in the
    harmonic oscillation?

2. Assume that you are examining the characteristics of the suspension system of a 2000kg
    automobile. The suspension “sags” 10cm when the weight of the entire automobile is placed
    on it. In addition, the amplitude of oscillation decreases by 50% during one complete
    oscillation. Estimate the values of k and b for the spring and shock absorber system of one
    wheel, assuming that one wheel supports 500kg.

3. A 2200lb car carrying four 180lb people drives over a rough “washboard” dirt road with
    corrugations 13ft apart. The car bounces with maximum amplitude when its speed hits
    10mi/h. The car now stops and the four people get out . By how much does the car rise
    on its suspension owing to this decrease in weight?

4. A small mass with m = 100 grams is attached to a vertical string of length l = 2m in
    the earth’s gravity. The mass swings back and forth with no loss of energy. The maximum
    angle from the vertical is 45. This problem is not simple harmonic motion because the
    maximum angle of displacement is not small. Find the velocity when the string is vertical,
     = 0. Find the tension in the string at  = 0. What is the velocity at  = 0 if you assume
    simple harmonic motion?

need help studying for it..plz help!! thx

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2004 #2
    You should post this in the HWK help section! Also, what have YOU done on these problems so far? What are you stuck on? How far have you got?

4. Nov 12, 2004 #3

jin

for #2 i didn't get part a...i just found the amplitude using A = sqrt((x^2) + ((v^2)/(w^2)) but i heard i'm suppose to be solving for y??? the others i'm just totally confused @@

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?