1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion and free-fall accelerations

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    A "seconds" pendulum is one that goes through its equilibrium position once each second. (The period of the pendulum is 2.000 s.) The length of a seconds pendulum is 0.9927 m at Tokyo and 0.9942 m at Cambridge, England. What is the ratio of the free-fall accelerations at these two locations?
    Cambridge / Tokyo) = 1 +?

How do I work this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2
    As you observe, in Cambridge the value of g is higher than in Tokyo (g_C/g_T = 1 + ?).

Knowing that the periods are equal, then:

[tex]\frac{T_C}{T_T} = 1[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l_C}{g_C}}}{2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l_T}{g_T}}} = 1[/tex]

You can go on to find g_C/g_T in terms of the ratio l_C/l_T.

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    Are you familiar with this formula?

[tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt\frac{L}{g}[/tex]

[tex]T[/tex] is the peroid, so set it equal to two and solve for the value [tex]g[/tex] with your given [tex]L[/tex] value.

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    It is neater to express the ratio of free fall accelerations in terms of the ratio of the 1-sec pendulum lengths, than finding the free fall acceleration in each location and then computing the ratio.

Indeed the conclusion will be that:

[tex]\frac{g_C}{g_T} = \frac{l_C}{l_T} = \frac{0.9942}{0.9927} = 1 + 1.51 * 10^{-3}[/tex]

6. Apr 19, 2005 #5
    Yes, yours is a much better way to compute it. I dislike dealing with ratios throught out a whole problem so I attempted it a different way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?