Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Harmonic Motion and friction

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mass m moves along a line on a rough table and is attached on either side to a stretched spring (both have equal spring constants k). The coefficients of static and sliding friction between mass and the table are equal with value [tex]\mu[/tex]

(a) show in the abscence of friciton the particle executes SHM with angular frequency[tex]\omega[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{2k/m}[/tex]

(b) Now include the effect of friction. Suppose particle is released at time t=0 with positive displacement Xo from equilibrium. Describe initial motion when (i)2kXo> [tex]\mu[/tex]mg and (ii) when 2kXo =< [tex]\mu[/tex]mg

(c) For case (i) write down the equation of satisfied by the displacement x of the mass as long as it remains moving. Verify it is satisfied by a solution of the form:

x(t)=Acos(wt) + Bsin(wt) + C

and find the values of A, B and C for the data given.

(d) Find the time t1 and position x1 at which the particle next comes to rest.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Been a while since I last did S.H.M, but so far I have without friction total force on object will be -2kx which is equal to -mw2x so i can show the first bit.

For part b I said that when 2kXo > [tex]\mu[/tex]mg it will oscillate with lower frequency and it's amplitude will gradually decrease, when 2kX0 =< [tex]\mu[/tex]mg it will remain stationary.

Part C is where I'm stuck. I think -mw2x= - 2kx + [tex]\mu[/tex]mg but not sure how to show the solution and also how to go about working out the constants. Any point in the right direction would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted