Simple harmonic motion chapter

If our formula for displacement was d = -Rsin(wt) meaning it starts from the middle and is going down, the formula for velocity will be v = -Rwcos(wt) and our acceleration will be a = Rw^2sin(wt).If our formula for displacement was d = Rsin(wt) meaning it starts from the middle and is going up, the formula for velocity will be v = Rwcos(wt) and our acceleration will be a = -Rw^2sin(wt).If our formula for displacement was d = -Rcos(wt) meaning it starts from the vertical maximum and is going down, the formula for velocity will be v = Rwsin(wt
briannamorgan
The chapter I'm reading is titled simple harmonic motion and the reference circle. I am so completely lost. It's talking about displacement, velocity, acceleration, and frequency of vibration. I understand displacement, velocity, and acceleration on a linear and angular level. I guess I'm confused about what harmonic motion is and how to find these things. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by briannamorgan
The chapter I'm reading is titled simple harmonic motion and the reference circle. I am so completely lost. It's talking about displacement, velocity, acceleration, and frequency of vibration. I understand displacement, velocity, and acceleration on a linear and angular level. I guess I'm confused about what harmonic motion is and how to find these things. Thanks for your help.

Harmonic motion is where the displacement (and hence velocity and acceleration) curve, as a function of time, is a sinusoid (like a sine or a cosine).

If you take an object in uniform circular motion and consider just its horizontal displacement, or just its vertical displacement, you will get harmonic motion.

To see this, consider that if an object is at some distance R away from the origin, at an angle θ with respect to the horizontal axis, then basic trigonometry tells us that its horizontal displacement from the origin will be x = R cos(θ), and y = R sin(θ). If R is a constant, and if the angle θ increases proportionally with time (θ = ωt for some constant ω), then this describes an object in uniform circular motion (constant distance from the origin, moving around at a constant angular rate). You then get x = R cos(ωt), y = R sin(ωt), which are sinusoidal curves if you graph them versus time.

First off, ALWAYS do angular calculations using radians, not degrees!

Simple harmonic motion is just like the above guy said, motion where distance from a certain point (equilibrium point), velocity and acceleration all follow a sinusoidal pattern.

Let's say we have a spring moving up and down (no friction, no air, 100% efficient). Let's say we have a spring and we pull it 15cm from the equilibrium point. That spring will absolutely never go more than 15cm from the equilibrium point in either direction. If we also know the period or the rotation speed, we can figure out instantaneous distances, velocities and accelerations.
The formula for our displacement in this case is:
d = Rcos(wt)
R is the maximum displacement from equilibrium (15cm in this case), w is rotation speed and t is time in seconds.
The formula for rotation speed is w = 2pi/T
w is not actually a w, it's supposed to be omega which looks much like a w. pi is the constant pi and T is the period of oscillation (sp?).
The formula for our displacement is determined for where we consider the start point to be. Most physics teachers will want you to consider the start point to be equilibrium and think of the spring as moving up, in that case our formula is d = Rsin(wt). If it starts in the middle and is going down, it's d = -Rsin(wt). If it starts from the vertical maximum, d = Rcos(wt). If it starts from vertical minimum, d = -Rcos(wt).

No matter what our formula for distance is, the formula for velocity is always the derivative of displacement with respect to time and acceleration is always the derivative of velocity with respect to time.

If you don't know what a derivative is, the following will just confuse you so don't read it

If our formula for displacement was d = Rcos(wt) meaning it starts from the vertical maximum, the formula for velocity will be v = -Rwsin(wt) and our acceleration will be a = -Rw^2cos(wt).

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern around a central equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and period. It is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. What are the factors that affect simple harmonic motion?

The factors that affect simple harmonic motion include the mass of the object, the amplitude of the motion, and the strength of the restoring force. The period of the motion is also affected by the length of the pendulum or the spring constant of the system.

3. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of periodic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern, where the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the object follow a sine or cosine curve. Other types of periodic motion may have different patterns, such as triangular or square waves.

4. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin (ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase angle. This equation can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time.

5. How is simple harmonic motion used in real-life applications?

Simple harmonic motion is used in many real-life applications, such as clocks, pendulum clocks, and spring systems in cars. It is also used in music to create different pitches and tones. In physics, simple harmonic motion is used to model the motion of objects, such as the Earth's orbit around the Sun.