1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion mass attached to spring with charge and in an E field

1. Feb 28, 2011 #1
    A block having mass m and charge +Q is connected to a spring having constant k. The block lies on a frictionless horizontal track, and the system is immersed in a uniform electric field of magnitude E, directed as shown in the figure below. The block is released from rest when the spring is unstretched (at x = 0).

http://www.webassign.net/serpop/p20-6.gif

(c) Show that the block's motion is simple harmonic and determine its period. (Use Q, E, m, and k as necessary.)

I did a,b, and d without a problem. I am not sure of the equations to use for simple harmonic motion. If someone could help walk me through this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted