Simple Harmonic Motion of a Pendulum

In summary: The displacement amplitude is a measure of the distance the pendulum has moved since the last time it swung. In Summary,The amplitude of a pendulum is given by the equation s(t)=Acos(omega*t+phase constant). Theta(t) is the maximum angle the pendulum will swing at, and s(t) is the arc length of the pendulum's circular path. The amplitude is negative, but I'm not sure if this is because of something incorrect in my calculations or because the angle used is incorrect.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

What is the amplitude of a pendulum whose angle is given by (.10 rad)cos(5t + pi)
where t is in sec.

Homework Equations

s(t)=Acos(omega*t+phase constant)
Theta(t)=thetamax*cos(omega*t+phase constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure if I did this right:

I found the length of the string to be .392 m ( by using omega= sqrt(g/L)
So, using the small angle approximation s= .392 * sin theta where theta= the intial angle, which I found to be .1 rad by looking at the equation

s=(.392*sin(.1rad)) = .039 m

Then I used s(t) =Acos(omega*t + phase constant) with t=0
I also found omega= 5 and the phase constant is pi

.039 m = A cos(pi)
But my amplitude ends up negative. I've having a bit of trouble with positive and negative signs in SHM

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bcjochim07,

I think there are several things that are not quite right. The first and maybe the cause of the others is your identification of 0.1 radians as the initial angle. (The initial angle would be found by setting t=0 and solving for theta.)

So what would you say the angle 0.1 radians is? (It's actually mentioned in your formula for theta(t).)

Last edited:
Another issue that does not lead to a numerical error is that you used

s= r sin(theta) to find s=0.039 m

This gives the correct numerical value because theta is small (as it has to be for the pendulum to be in SHM), but s is actually the arc length along the pendulum's circular path so we would have

s = r theta

But the number you get looks right; now identify what that number represents (because of the particular angle that you used).

Last edited:
Actually theta = (.10 rad)cos(5t + pi) is the expression for the pendulum with the variable the angle.
so 0.10 rad is the amplitude.

Hi bcjochim07,

In my two posts I asked you for the identification of two values that you found. The angle you found was the angular amplitude (as SimonZ stated) and the other (0.039 m) is the displacement amplitude (along the arc).

Last edited:

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point. It is characterized by a sinusoidal or wave-like motion.

2. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It can be used to demonstrate Simple Harmonic Motion.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum's motion?

The period of a pendulum's motion is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the strength of gravity. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a heavier pendulum and a stronger gravitational force will result in a shorter period.

4. How is the period of a pendulum calculated?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does amplitude affect the motion of a pendulum?

The amplitude of a pendulum, or the maximum displacement from its equilibrium point, does not affect the period of its motion. However, a larger amplitude will result in a greater range of motion and a faster velocity at the bottom of the swing.