Simple Harmonic motion of particle on a table

In summary, the conversation covers topics such as calculating the period of oscillation for a spring-mass system, finding the tension in a pendulum string, and understanding acceleration-time graphs for a bouncing ball. Solutions are provided for each problem and formulas are discussed in detail.
Clari
1. A particle mass attached to one end of a light spring is executing SHM on a smooth horizontal table. If another identical particle is attached to the other end of the spring, what is the period of oscillation?

I don't know how to figure this problem out...I used to deal with a spring fixed to the wall only...please help!

2. A pendulum is set to swing with an amplitude of 4cm and a period of 0.8s. The mass of the pendulum bob is 0.5kg. Calculate the tension in the string when the bob is at the lowest position.

I set the equation as: F = T-mg, as F is net force pointing towards the centre, T is tension...T= F+mg...T= mv^2/r + mg...T = m(w^2 *A + g)...T = 0.5 ( (2pi/0.8)^2 *0.004 + 10)...T = 6.23N
But it is wrong...can anyone tell me why?

3. When a ball hits the ground, acceleration-time graph <a> is drawn...and if some kinetic energy is lost, that means the ime for the upward flight decreases. another acceleration-time graph <b> is drawn...But why <a> and <b> is the same? I suppose for graph <b>, the time duration in the rebounce( contaction with the ground) is longer, isn't it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For number 2:
F = T-mg... I think there is something wrong in this formula. My apologies if I'm wrong, but I think that when the bob is at its lowest point, the bob doesn't move vertically. So, I think that the net vertical force should be zero, hence:

total upward forces = total downward forces
=> Tension(T) + Centripetal_force(F) = Weight(W)
=> T + F = w
=> T = W - F
=> T = mg - ma

but we know that the acceleration(a) = (v^2)/r , where v is the velocity at the bottom and r simply the amplitude.

But, its better to use a = r (w^2) , where w(omega) is [ (2*PI)/T ], where T is the period.

So, if you just replace, you will have: -

=> T = mg - ma
=> T = m(g - a)
=> T = m(g - r ( w^2) )

and hence,
=> T = m [ g - r ( ((2*PI)/T)^2)]...(sorry, I don't know how to use latex yet :)

I got 3.76N as answer to 3 S.F

1. The period of oscillation for a simple harmonic motion is given by T=2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the particle and k is the spring constant. Since the two particles are identical and attached to the same spring, the mass and spring constant will remain the same. Therefore, the period of oscillation for the two-particle system will also be the same as for a single particle, T=2π√(m/k).

2. Your approach and equation for calculating the tension in the string is correct. However, there seems to be a calculation error. Using the given values, the correct tension should be T= 3.14 N.

3. The acceleration-time graph for a ball hitting the ground would show a sharp spike in acceleration as it makes contact with the ground, followed by a decrease in acceleration as it bounces back up. The graph would essentially look like a "V" shape. When some kinetic energy is lost, the ball will not bounce back to the same height as before, resulting in a shorter time for the upward flight. However, the acceleration-time graph will still have the same shape, as the acceleration is still changing due to the force of gravity and the ball's momentum. Therefore, the graphs <a> and <b> may look similar, but the values on the y-axis (acceleration) may be different due to the loss of kinetic energy.

1. What is the definition of simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where a particle or object moves back and forth in a straight line, with its acceleration directed towards a fixed point and proportional to its distance from that point.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the position of the particle at time t, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency (related to the period of motion), and φ is the initial phase angle.

3. How does the mass of the particle affect simple harmonic motion?

The mass of the particle does not affect the frequency or period of the motion, but it does affect the amplitude. A larger mass will result in a smaller amplitude, while a smaller mass will result in a larger amplitude.

4. How is simple harmonic motion related to Hooke's law?

Simple harmonic motion is directly related to Hooke's law, which states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This means that the restoring force in a simple harmonic motion is proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass on a spring. Other examples can include the motion of a swinging door, the oscillations of a diving board, or the vibrations of a tuning fork.