1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic motion of particle on a table

1. Jan 2, 2005 #1
    1. A particle mass attached to one end of a light spring is executing SHM on a smooth horizontal table. If another identical particle is attached to the other end of the spring, what is the period of oscillation?

I don't know how to figure this problem out....I used to deal with a spring fixed to the wall only....please help!!

2. A pendulum is set to swing with an amplitude of 4cm and a period of 0.8s. The mass of the pendulum bob is 0.5kg. Calculate the tension in the string when the bob is at the lowest position.

I set the equation as: F = T-mg, as F is net force pointing towards the centre, T is tension.........T= F+mg.....T= mv^2/r + mg.....T = m(w^2 *A + g)........T = 0.5 ( (2pi/0.8)^2 *0.004 + 10)........T = 6.23N
    But it is wrong...can anyone tell me why?

3. When a ball hits the ground, acceleration-time graph <a> is drawn....and if some kinetic energy is lost, that means the ime for the upward flight decreases. another acceleration-time graph <b> is drawn...But why <a> and <b> is the same? I suppose for graph <b>, the time duration in the rebounce( contaction with the ground) is longer, isn't it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2
    For number 2:
    F = T-mg... I think there is something wrong in this formula. My apologies if I'm wrong, but I think that when the bob is at its lowest point, the bob doesn't move vertically. So, I think that the net vertical force should be zero, hence:

total upward forces = total downward forces
    => Tension(T) + Centripetal_force(F) = Weight(W)
    => T + F = w
    => T = W - F
    => T = mg - ma

but we know that the acceleration(a) = (v^2)/r , where v is the velocity at the bottom and r simply the amplitude.

But, its better to use a = r (w^2) , where w(omega) is [ (2*PI)/T ], where T is the period.

So, if you just replace, you will have: -

=> T = mg - ma
    => T = m(g - a)
    => T = m(g - r ( w^2) )

and hence,
    => T = m [ g - r ( ((2*PI)/T)^2)]............(sorry, I don't know how to use latex yet :)

I got 3.76N as answer to 3 S.F

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?