• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Simple Harmonic Motion of skydiver

• Thread starter BDR
  • Start date

BDR

I can't seem to get the right answer, where is my mistake?

A 90 kg skydiver hanging from a parachute bounces up and down with a period of 1.5 seconds. What is the new period of oscillation when a second skydiver, whose mass is 60 kg, hangs from the legs of the first?

I am using the equation T = 2pie square root of m/k.

I found k and then combined the 2 masses (m1+m2), and put that back into the equation and found an answer but not the right one.

The right answer is suppose to be 1.94 s ....i'm getting 58

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member
Your method is correct, you must be doing some calculation wrong. What did you get for k?

BDR

I got k = 38.14 I don't know if its right though

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member
There's your problem. k is much bigger than that. How did you find k?

mukundpa

Homework Helper
your value of k is not correct check the calculations

You may also use T1/T2 = squrt of m1/(m1+m2)

BDR

I'm not sure that is the correct number i got for K, i have so many numbers on my paper everything is mixed together. I took the period given which was 1.5 divided by 2 pie 1.5/2pie = .239. Then i squared to get rid of the square root. Which gave me .239 = m/k. Then multiplied by k and divided.

BDR

I'm getting an answer of 2.5, is that correct? The correct answer is 1.94 s, or thats what the book says.

mukundpa

Homework Helper
T = 2p sqr(m/K)
T^2= 4p^2(m/K)
K = (4*P^2*m)/T^2
put the values it gives 1579.14 N/m
how you were calculating

I suggested an easy method in the earlier posting
As K is not changing you can eliminate it from the two cases by dividing the equations of the two time periods you will get the equation I gave in that posting and by substituting the values you can calculate T2

It is always better to solve first in notations and finally calculating the numerical value.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving