Simple harmonic motion problem.

In summary, to find the expressions for velocity and acceleration of a car undergoing simple harmonic motion, differentiate x=xocos(2pi t/T) by taking one less derivative. The maximum values for velocity and acceleration can be found by plugging in the maximum values of cosine and sine, which are both equal to 1. Therefore, the maximum velocity is 2(2pi/T)x_o and the maximum acceleration is (2pi/T)^2x_o. However, the negative sign in the expression for acceleration can be dropped to find the absolute maximum acceleration.
hot2moli
x=xocos(2pi t/T), where xo is the maximum amplitude of oscillation and T is the period of oscillation.

Find expressions for the velocity and acceleration of a car undergoing simple harmonic motion by differentiating x.
[Answer: a=–(2pi/T)^2(Xo)cos(2pi t/T).]

QUESTION:
If xo = 0.3 m and T = 3 s, what are the maximum values of velocity and acceleration?

I do not know the expression for velocity. ANNDD I do not know (t), so even just solving for acceleration I have a problem because I face two unknowns.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you found the expression for acceleration, then you should be able to find the expression for velocity.

HINT: Take one less derivative.

For the maximum values, you have to plug in the maximum values of cosine and sine (whichever one appears in the formula) So, the question becomes, what are the maximum values for sine and cosine? Remember, the argument of the sine or cosine shouldn't matter.

Recall that for any oscillation, A*cos(something) or A*sin(something) that A is the maximum value that it can possibly have since cos/sin can only go as high a "1". This is why "A" is called the amplitude of the oscillation.

Find velocity and acceleration by simply finding the first derivative of x with respect to t and the second derivative with respect to t. Whatever is out in front of those sinusoids are the max values.

so I can disregard sine/cos since it would just be -1/1... therefore I only focus on the bginning of the equation

a=–(2pi/T)^2(Xo)

And i would just plug in getting 1.3m/s2 but that is incorrect..

and then would velocity just be:
2(2pi/T) = Vmax

hot2moli said:
so I can disregard sine/cos since it would just be -1/1... therefore I only focus on the bginning of the equation

a=–(2pi/T)^2(Xo)

And i would just plug in getting 1.3m/s2 but that is incorrect..

Try dropping the negative sign. They are probably looking for the absolute maximum acceleration.

hot2moli said:
and then would velocity just be:
2(2pi/T) = Vmax

This is not correct. The answer should involve x_o.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around a central point, with the same period and amplitude.

2. What are the main characteristics of simple harmonic motion?

The main characteristics of simple harmonic motion include a constant period, amplitude, and frequency, as well as a sinusoidal shape of the displacement graph. The motion also follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the displacement.

3. What is the equation for calculating displacement in simple harmonic motion?

The equation for calculating displacement in simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A * cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation can be derived from the kinematic equations of motion, assuming a constant restoring force and no damping.

4. What factors affect the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. Increasing the mass or the spring constant will result in a longer period, while increasing the amplitude will result in a shorter period.

5. How is simple harmonic motion used in real life?

Simple harmonic motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in pendulums, musical instruments, and springs. It is also used in engineering and design to create stable structures and in the study of vibrations and waves.