1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion problem

1. Nov 30, 2004 #1
    In a block-spring system with a block of mass m and a spring of spring constant k, prove that the angular velocity ω of the block = (k/m)^(1/2).

I can prove this easily in the following manner:

F = ma Newton's law
    F = -kx Hooke's law
    a = -ω^2x
    ma = -kx = -mω^2x
    k = mω^2
    ω^2 = (k/m)
    ω = (k/m)^(1/2)

But when I try to prove it using calculus (as my teacher instructed me to do) something goes wrong:

F = ma
    F = -kx
    X = Acos(ωt + φ) SHM
    F = ma = -kx = -kAcos(ωt + φ)

I integrated to get:

mv = -kωAsin(ωt + φ)

Did I do something wrong here? I kept integrating (so that there was a ω^2 term on the right side) and substitued for x = Acos(ωt + φ) and cancelled out x; but then I got ω = (m/k)^1/2. I don't understand why---is there a flaw in the math somewhere? I think I can probably do the proof by simply integrating the SHM equation and substituting it for acceleration, but I'd like to know what I did wrong above.

Thanks for any help :-)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2004 #2
    You messed up your integral. What you've found is the derivative without the negative sign.

What's easier is to realize that a = [itex] \Ddot{x}[/itex], and then just differentiate x twice with respect to time and plug it in for a, then compare terms.

4. Nov 30, 2004 #3
    Thanks! I didn't realize I was integrating with the chain rule :-) I have to do integration by substitution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?