• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple harmonic motion problem

• Thread starter Erenjaeger
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
A 45.0-g object connected to a spring with a force constant of 40.0 N/m oscillates with an amplitude of 6.00 cm on a frictionless, horizontal surface.
a) find the total energy of the system (mJ)

2. Homework Equations
1/2KA^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Is the force constant the same as the spring constant 'K' here ? or will i need to determine 'K' by using Hooke's Law? f=-kx and then rearrange for -k=f/x?
also does the A have to be converted into m or can i just plug in 6.00cm?

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is the force constant the same as the spring constant 'K' here ?
Yes.
or will i need to determine 'K' by using Hooke's Law? f=-kx and then rearrange for -k=f/x?
There is no way to determine K this way by using information given in the problem.
also does the A have to be converted into m or can i just plug in 6.00cm?
Try plugging the numbers into the formula along with the units and see what units you end up with for the energy.

Yes.
There is no way to determine K this way by using information given in the problem.
Try plugging the numbers into the formula along with the units and see what units you end up with for the energy.
n⋅m cm2 ??

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
n⋅m cm2 ??
Not quite. Note that K has units of Newtons per meter.

Not quite. Note that K has units of Newtons per meter.
yeah so n/m but then then amplitude has units of cm with the ^2 there so unless i convert amplitude into m maybe??

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If you can get the energy in Joules, then it won't be hard to convert to mJ. Can you relate the Joule to the Newton and the meter?

If you can get the energy in Joules, then it won't be hard to convert to mJ. Can you relate the Joule to the Newton and the meter?
right so the answer i was getting was in joules because joules is n/m or kg⋅m^2⋅s^2 so is mJ millijoules or megajoules ?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
right so the answer i was getting was in joules because joules is n/m or kg⋅m^2⋅s^2
J ≠ N/m. Did you mean to write N⋅m rather than N/m?
Also, did you mean to write kg⋅m^2/s^2 instead of kg⋅m^2⋅s^2?
so is mJ millijoules or megajoules ?
mJ stands for milliJoule. MegaJoule would be MJ.

J ≠ N/m. Did you mean to write N⋅m rather than N/m?
Also, did you mean to write kg⋅m^2/s^2 instead of kg⋅m^2⋅s^2?
mJ stands for milliJoule. MegaJoule would be MJ.
yeah i thought K had a unit of Newtons per meter ?
right so they want the answer i got but in milliJoule?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
yeah i thought K had a unit of Newtons per meter ?
Yes, K has units of N/m. But what about energy? How would you express the Joule in terms of N and m?
right so they want the answer i got but in milliJoule?
Yes, they want the answer in milliJoules.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In the formula E = (1/2)KA2 suppose you used N/m for the units of K and cm for the unit of A. What would you get for the units for E? Would you end up with units corresponding to Joules?

In the formula E = (1/2)KA2 suppose you used N/m for the units of K and cm for the unit of A. What would you get for the units for E? Would you end up with units corresponding to Joules?
would you get N⋅m⋅cm2 ??

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
would you get N⋅m⋅cm2 ??
No. The units for K are N/m, not N⋅m.

No. The units for K are N/m, not N⋅m.
dude i am so lost, can you not just explain it to me so i can learn about what youre talking about?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If you use K = 40.0 N/m and A = 6.00 cm in the formula E = (1/2)KA2, what do you get for an answer for E (including units)?

If you use K = 40.0 N/m and A = 6.00 cm in the formula E = (1/2)KA2, what do you get for an answer for E (including units)?
120 N/m⋅cm2 since the amplitude is given in cm.??

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
120 N/m⋅cm2 since the amplitude is given in cm.??
Yes, that's right. Does N/m⋅cm2 represent Joules?

[EDIT: Sorry, I was only looking at the units. You got the units right, but the numerical value is not 120.]

Yes, that's right. Does N/m⋅cm2 represent Joules?
doesnt a joule equal a N⋅m ??

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
doesnt a joule equal a N⋅m ??
Yes, good. So using 6 cm for A does not yield N⋅m (or Joules) for E.

Yes, good. So using 6 cm for A does not yield N⋅m (or Joules) for E.
oh yeah so for N⋅m would i just convert amplitude to meters? but then im still left with N/m⋅cm2 does the cm2 part affect anything?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
oh yeah so for N⋅m would i just convert amplitude to meters? but then im still left with N/m⋅cm2 does the cm2 part affect anything?
If you convert the amplitude to meters, then you will not have any cm in your answer.

If you convert the amplitude to meters, then you will not have any cm in your answer.
oh true, so by converting the amplitude to m, im left with N.m which is the units for joules right?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
oh true, so by converting the amplitude to m, im left with N.m which is the units for joules right?
Yes, that's right.