Simple harmonic motion problem

In summary: So what would your final answer be in milliJoules?Yes, that's right. So what would your final answer be in milliJoules?In summary, to find the total energy of a 45.0-g object connected to a spring with a force constant of 40.0 N/m oscillating with an amplitude of 6.00 cm on a frictionless, horizontal surface, the formula E = (1/2)KA^2 can be used. The force constant and amplitude both have units of N/m and m, respectively. To get the answer in Joules, the amplitude must be converted to meters. The final answer can be converted to milliJoules, with units of m
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

A 45.0-g object connected to a spring with a force constant of 40.0 N/m oscillates with an amplitude of 6.00 cm on a frictionless, horizontal surface.
a) find the total energy of the system (mJ)[/B]

Homework Equations

1/2KA^2
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the force constant the same as the spring constant 'K' here ? or will i need to determine 'K' by using Hooke's Law? f=-kx and then rearrange for -k=f/x?
also does the A have to be converted into m or can i just plug in 6.00cm?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:
Is the force constant the same as the spring constant 'K' here ?
Yes.
or will i need to determine 'K' by using Hooke's Law? f=-kx and then rearrange for -k=f/x?
There is no way to determine K this way by using information given in the problem.
also does the A have to be converted into m or can i just plug in 6.00cm?
Try plugging the numbers into the formula along with the units and see what units you end up with for the energy.

TSny said:
Yes.
There is no way to determine K this way by using information given in the problem.
Try plugging the numbers into the formula along with the units and see what units you end up with for the energy.
n⋅m cm2 ??

Erenjaeger said:
n⋅m cm2 ??
Not quite. Note that K has units of Newtons per meter.

TSny said:
Not quite. Note that K has units of Newtons per meter.
yeah so n/m but then then amplitude has units of cm with the ^2 there so unless i convert amplitude into m maybe??

If you can get the energy in Joules, then it won't be hard to convert to mJ. Can you relate the Joule to the Newton and the meter?

TSny said:
If you can get the energy in Joules, then it won't be hard to convert to mJ. Can you relate the Joule to the Newton and the meter?
right so the answer i was getting was in joules because joules is n/m or kg⋅m^2⋅s^2 so is mJ millijoules or megajoules ?

Erenjaeger said:
right so the answer i was getting was in joules because joules is n/m or kg⋅m^2⋅s^2
J ≠ N/m. Did you mean to write N⋅m rather than N/m?
Also, did you mean to write kg⋅m^2/s^2 instead of kg⋅m^2⋅s^2?
so is mJ millijoules or megajoules ?
mJ stands for milliJoule. MegaJoule would be MJ.

TSny said:
J ≠ N/m. Did you mean to write N⋅m rather than N/m?
Also, did you mean to write kg⋅m^2/s^2 instead of kg⋅m^2⋅s^2?
mJ stands for milliJoule. MegaJoule would be MJ.
yeah i thought K had a unit of Newtons per meter ?
right so they want the answer i got but in milliJoule?

Erenjaeger said:
yeah i thought K had a unit of Newtons per meter ?
Yes, K has units of N/m. But what about energy? How would you express the Joule in terms of N and m?
right so they want the answer i got but in milliJoule?
Yes, they want the answer in milliJoules.

In the formula E = (1/2)KA2 suppose you used N/m for the units of K and cm for the unit of A. What would you get for the units for E? Would you end up with units corresponding to Joules?

TSny said:
In the formula E = (1/2)KA2 suppose you used N/m for the units of K and cm for the unit of A. What would you get for the units for E? Would you end up with units corresponding to Joules?
would you get N⋅m⋅cm2 ??

Erenjaeger said:
would you get N⋅m⋅cm2 ??
No. The units for K are N/m, not N⋅m.

TSny said:
No. The units for K are N/m, not N⋅m.
dude i am so lost, can you not just explain it to me so i can learn about what youre talking about?

If you use K = 40.0 N/m and A = 6.00 cm in the formula E = (1/2)KA2, what do you get for an answer for E (including units)?

TSny said:
If you use K = 40.0 N/m and A = 6.00 cm in the formula E = (1/2)KA2, what do you get for an answer for E (including units)?
120 N/m⋅cm2 since the amplitude is given in cm.??

Erenjaeger said:
120 N/m⋅cm2 since the amplitude is given in cm.??
Yes, that's right. Does N/m⋅cm2 represent Joules?

[EDIT: Sorry, I was only looking at the units. You got the units right, but the numerical value is not 120.]

TSny said:
Yes, that's right. Does N/m⋅cm2 represent Joules?
doesnt a joule equal a N⋅m ??

Erenjaeger said:
doesnt a joule equal a N⋅m ??
Yes, good. So using 6 cm for A does not yield N⋅m (or Joules) for E.

TSny said:
Yes, good. So using 6 cm for A does not yield N⋅m (or Joules) for E.
oh yeah so for N⋅m would i just convert amplitude to meters? but then I am still left with N/m⋅cm2 does the cm2 part affect anything?

Erenjaeger said:
oh yeah so for N⋅m would i just convert amplitude to meters? but then I am still left with N/m⋅cm2 does the cm2 part affect anything?
If you convert the amplitude to meters, then you will not have any cm in your answer.

TSny said:
If you convert the amplitude to meters, then you will not have any cm in your answer.
oh true, so by converting the amplitude to m, I am left with N.m which is the units for joules right?

Erenjaeger said:
oh true, so by converting the amplitude to m, I am left with N.m which is the units for joules right?
Yes, that's right.

Likes Erenjaeger

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is directed towards the equilibrium point. This results in a sinusoidal pattern of motion.

2. What are the key components of a simple harmonic motion problem?

The key components of a simple harmonic motion problem are the mass, the spring constant, and the displacement or position of the object. These variables are used to calculate the period, frequency, amplitude, and other characteristics of the motion.

3. How do you calculate the period of a simple harmonic motion problem?

The period of a simple harmonic motion problem can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and period in a simple harmonic motion problem?

The frequency and period of a simple harmonic motion problem are inversely related. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. The relationship is described by the equation f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period.

5. How does amplitude affect a simple harmonic motion problem?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic motion problem is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. It does not affect the period or frequency of the motion, but it does affect the maximum velocity and acceleration of the object. As the amplitude increases, the maximum velocity and acceleration also increase.