Simple Harmonic Motion Guitar String Question

In summary: The amplitude is the same at all points on the string, so you can use any x. x=0 would be fine.In summary, the midpoint of a guitar string with an amplitude of 2.24mm and a frequency of 400Hz has a maximum speed of 5.6ms-1 and a maximum acceleration of 0 ms-2. The formulas used are x=Asin(2*pi*f*t), a=-(2*pi*f)^2(x), and v=(2*pi*f)(A), where A is the amplitude in meters, f is the frequency in Hz, and t is the time in seconds. The midpoint refers to the midpoint along the length of the string, not the midpoint of the
Apothem

Homework Statement

Question: "The midpoint of a guitar string oscillates with an amplitude of 2.24mm with a frequency of 400Hz. Calculate:
i) The maximum speed at this point
ii) The maximum acceleration of the string at this point"

Homework Equations

Suitable formulas: x=Asin(2*pi*f*t) ; a=-(2*pi*f)2(x) ; v=(2*pi*f)(A)
where A= amplitude/m ; f=frequency/Hz ; t=time/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted Solution:
I think I am alright with part i) I did: v=(2*pi*400)*(2.24x10-3)=5.6ms-1

However for part ii) I am a bit unsure, do I take x to be the amplitude, but at the midpoint would x not be 0, so the acceleration is 0 ms-2?

(I originally posted this in the wrong section, and reposted it in the correct section, sorry if I should not have reposted it in a new section)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formulas under 2. are just for the displacement ##x## of a single point on the strong. There's no notion of the "midpoint" or any other point (think of the rest position of the point on the string as ##y##).

olivermsun said:
Your formulas under 2. are just for the displacement ##x## of a single point on the strong. There's no notion of the "midpoint" or any other point (think of the rest position of the point on the string as ##y##).

Sorry, I am unsure on what you mean. I understand your first point, just not about the midpoint.

Apothem said:
Question: "The midpoint of a guitar string oscillates with an amplitude of 2.24mm with a frequency of 400Hz. Calculate:
i) The maximum speed at this point
ii) The maximum acceleration of the string at this point"
However for part ii) I am a bit unsure, do I take x to be the amplitude, but at the midpoint would x not be 0, so the acceleration is 0 ms-2?
Maybe I misunderstood what you posted earlier, but I think there is some confusion between the "midpoint" along the string (where x(t), v(t), and a(t) are given) and the "midpoint" of the oscillation (the rest position of the point, or where x=0).

olivermsun said:
Maybe I misunderstood what you posted earlier, but I think there is some confusion between the "midpoint" along the string (where x(t), v(t), and a(t) are given) and the "midpoint" of the oscillation (the rest position of the point, or where x=0).
Yes, clearly the question means midpoint along the length of the string. It does look like Apothem has misinterpreted it as midpoint of oscillation.
Apothem, x is not the amplitude, it is the displacement at time t. The amplitude is the maximum displacement.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a straight line with a constant amplitude and frequency. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How does simple harmonic motion apply to guitar strings?

Guitar strings vibrate in a simple harmonic motion when they are plucked or strummed. This is because the tension in the string creates a restoring force that pulls the string back to its equilibrium position after being displaced by the plucking motion. The frequency of the vibration determines the pitch of the sound produced.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a guitar string's simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of a guitar string's simple harmonic motion is affected by several factors, including the tension in the string, the length of the string, and the mass of the string. Thicker strings and longer strings have lower frequencies, while thinner strings and shorter strings have higher frequencies.

4. How does amplitude affect the sound produced by a guitar string's simple harmonic motion?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a vibrating object from its equilibrium position. In the case of a guitar string, a larger amplitude results in a louder sound, while a smaller amplitude produces a softer sound. This is because a larger amplitude creates more energy and a larger sound wave.

5. Can simple harmonic motion be used to tune a guitar string?

Yes, simple harmonic motion can be used to tune a guitar string. By plucking the string and adjusting the tension or length of the string, the frequency can be changed until it matches the desired pitch. This method is commonly used by musicians to tune their guitars.