Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple harmonic motion trouble

1. Jul 7, 2005 #1
    hey guys im having trouble figuring out if something is undergoing simple harmonic motion. i know that for an object to be executing simple harmonic motion, its position and velocity must follow a sin curve...but im still having trouble. ok for example, a question on a worksheet said "a basketball player dribbles a ball with a steady period of T seconds. is the motion simple harmonic?" the answer was no. but i dont understand. how do u tell if its postiion and velocity follows a sin curve? can anyone explain to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2005 #2
    When the particle is changing direction, does its velocity go to zero? If so, you're looking at something that could be simple harmonic.

4. Jul 7, 2005 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the force on an object is directly propotional to the displacement of an object, but in a direction which is opposite to the displacement, then the object will undergo Simple Harmonic motion.
    ie,
    F=-kx
    Now, can you see why the basketball bouncing is not Simple Harmonic motion?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook