1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion Tuning Fork Question

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    A tuning fork vibrates at a frequency of 264 Hz and the tip of each prong moves 1.66 mm to either side of center. Calculate the maximum speed of the tip of a prong.

So far I've found that Vmax = omega*A, but I don't know how to find A. Am I going in the wrong direction? Or is there a way to find A that I don't know about yet..?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the amplitude.
  4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    Oh haha, I knew it must've been something stupid, thanks.
  5. Apr 21, 2005 #4
    Ok so I figured that Vmax would be omega*A, but it isn't correct. I know that
    v=-omega*A*sin(omega*t) (yeah I need to learn how to write equations better)

so I assumed that in the problem, it's basically an initial value, so t=0. So that would leave v=omega*A.

From this I got Vmax = (2pi/T)(A)
    and T=1/f

so Vmax = (2pi/(1/f))(A)

I guess this is incorrect. Oh and I didnt forget to convert mm to m. Any pointers?
  6. Apr 21, 2005 #5
    woops nevermind... I must have entered it in my calculator wrong haha sorry. Thanks for the help Al.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?